Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

How to Get Involved With a Volunteer Fire Department

How to get involved with a volunteer fire department

Do you have any other tips for someone who wants to join a volunteer fire department?

FP,
    I'm thinking this may be more of a rhetorical question, but I'll get the conversation started. Not too much add to the article. Depending on where you live, it may be as simple as walking down the street to the local firehouse and asking or it may be nearly impossible. While the vast majority of firefighters in this country are volunteers, there are parts of this country where volunteer departments are virtually non-existent. If you live in one of those areas, don't give up all hope. Even NYC still has a few independent VFDs around.

Assuming there is a dept. close enough, they will likely walk you through the process. There is a fairly steep initial training requirement, occasionally a moderate financial outlay, and then continual training. This of course, is in addition to the call-outs. If you are under the age of 18 I would also look for any depts. that have "junior" members or even better a Fire Explorer Post. Exploring is a component of the Scouts Learning for Life division.
    One last thing. An important thing to remember: When you embark on a public safety career, be it Fire, EMS, or Police, you do not join the dept. alone. In a very real sense your family joins too. This can be both good and bad. It also goes triple for volunteers. If you have these aspirations, make sure you talk them over with your family members. It will be impacting them too.

Good Luck.
    Last edited by JimSpoor; 08-10-2012 at 11:32.
    "There is no second place winner"-- Bill Jordan