Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

Thread: Prep Work

Question Prep Work

Hi!

I'm starting a job next week dispatching for all agencies in our county. I would like to prepare in everyway possible & would love your input! So far I have memorized the phonetic alphabet, memorized all cross streets in the county & have been listening to our local radio frequencies. Do you veterans have any other ideas?

Thanks SO much!

Prep Work

I sounds to me like you ahve done what you need to do so far and then some. I suppose just surf around the web and see what else you can find on each individual city and township website. If there are minutes from the city council meeting or county board meeting, take a look at those. Also, take a look at the website of whatever newspaper(s) cover our area to see what the current issues are.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim1348 View Post
    I sounds to me like you ahve done what you need to do so far and then some. I suppose just surf around the web and see what else you can find on each individual city and township website. If there are minutes from the city council meeting or county board meeting, take a look at those. Also, take a look at the website of whatever newspaper(s) cover our area to see what the current issues are.
    Thanks for your suggestions, Jim!

Bring coffee and donuts. As the "new guy" you will have to lean on your fellow dispatchers quite a bit in the beginning, and they will have to pick up some of your slack as well. Although it is cliche', showing up the first day with goodies is not a bad start. Good Luck.
    "There is no second place winner"-- Bill Jordan