Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

Inside Waistband Holster Recommendations?

Any thoughts on the comfort/likeability of an inside waistband carry holster? My agency policy allows them but they must have a secondary retention feature (i.e. thumb break). I carry the Glock 27. I've always worn an outside the waistband holster but am looking for a better concealment option (I'm female). I don't want to switch to the ankle or shoulder holster as I've carried on the hip for a decade and a half and that's where I will expect to find it if I need it.

The two best options I am seeing online are by Bianchi and Galco (both with belt snaps versus clips or paddles). Any thoughts?

It can be difficult finding a comfortable IWB holster for women because of the shape of a woman's body. IWB works best on people who are built straight and narrow with not much curve to the hip or lower torso, so any semblance of an hourglass shape tends to work against comfortable IWB carry. My wife (also a Fed) has always returned to either OWB or bag carry. I wish you the best of luck.

"You're about as useful as a poopy flavored lollipop!" - Patches O'Houlihan

Quote Originally Posted by TheGreatGonzo View Post
    It can be difficult finding a comfortable IWB holster for women because of the shape of a woman's body. IWB works best on people who are built straight and narrow with not much curve to the hip or lower torso, so any semblance of an hourglass shape tends to work against comfortable IWB carry. My wife (also a Fed) has always returned to either OWB or bag carry. I wish you the best of luck.
    We can't do "bag carry" either. Any experience with the Dual Carry by DeSantis? Both an IWB/OWB holster?

I have a Galco IWB holster that I use sometimes outside of work, but I use a left handed holster on my right side rear hip. Great for concealment, not so good for a rapid draw and not ideal for duty carry.

For a standard draw option, there are several good ones, but you need to test out which ones work for you in terms of comfort and concealment. I used to carry the MacDaniel 2 holster by Andrews Leather, Andrews Custom Leather - MacDaniel II, which you can have made with a thumb break if needed. I liked this design because it puts the belt loop at the back of the holster under the grip...that makes it a lot more comfortable and concealable than holsters where the loops are centered.

One problem with IWB is that you really need to tailor your pants, especially dress slacks, to accomodate this style of carry.

Quote Originally Posted by nsedet View Post
    One problem with IWB is that you really need to tailor your pants, especially dress slacks, to accomodate this style of carry.
    Can you expand on this a bit more? What type of tailoring?

You're going to need some additional room in your waistband, or lose 10 pounds.

Consider Milt Sparks VMII. Perhaps one of the best IWB holsters made. Long wait to order, but there are several sources that stock them. They go quickly.
    Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!
    Hunter S. Thompson

I'm in the straight and narrow category. Lately I've been looking at Comtac Minotaur and FIST IWB holsters for my Glock. A few companies do offer a trial period. Good luck!
    Last edited by FXF4; 01-11-2013 at 19:36. Reason: spelling
    You can stand me up at the gates of hell but I won't back down... Tom Petty

From this day to the ending of the world.... We in it shall be remembered. We gallant few, we band of brothers. For he today that sheds his blood with me. Shall be my brother.Shakespeare

Quote Originally Posted by TxFed View Post
    Can you expand on this a bit more? What type of tailoring?
    As DM noted you need extra room in your waistband for any IWB holster, how much really depends on the type of gun and the holster design. At least for me this isn't a problem with jeans and khakis, but it can be an issue with suit pants. Even if you have the extra room in your waistband, the holster can pull your pants off center depending on how you wear it (behind the hip takes up less extra space than actually on your side). The best way to overcome that with tailored clothes is to find a tailor who can make the adjustments for your holster so your pants fit and the help conceal the holster...of course you may then have the opposite problem of having pants that are too big for you whenever you aren't wearing your IWB holster.

Before you go to the tailor, make sure you have a proper GUN BELT to support the holster. If you try to use your snazzy dress belt, you'll find you've got a great holster with no support. Gun belt is part of the package.
    Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!
    Hunter S. Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by dmclark View Post
    Before you go to the tailor, make sure you have a proper GUN BELT to support the holster. If you try to use your snazzy dress belt, you'll find you've got a great holster with no support. Gun belt is part of the package.
    There are lots of good gun belt manufacturers, some more expensive than others. I've been really impressed with the Aker "Special Agent" belt. It's about 50 bucks & well worth it. The first time I loaded the belt up in a suit with gun, mags, cuffs, blackberry, and radio, I knew that I made a good choice.

Looking through your bank records & garbage..
    Honestly, the thumb-break requirement seriously limits your selections. If you go the Galco route, make sure it's a model wih a reinforced mouth (otherwise it'll be near impossible to REholster, especially one-handed.)

In the office, questioning my life choices
    I go back and forth between OWB and IWB, mostly dependent upon if I'm doing UC work that day or not. I use IWB for UC and most of the time off-duty, and I concur with all the previous comments about pants size, etc. I'm an average size guy, and it basically translates into one pants size larger than necessary to accomodate IWB. I have no idea how that would translate for a female agent though. Barring court, we never wear anything besides jeans, so it isn't really an issue for me. I do, however, have basically two different sets of jeans-- those that work IWB and those that don't. I never do IWB with a suit.

I use a Bianchi Model 125 Allusion with my Glock 27, which does not have the thumb break you need, but does have the added benefit of being capable of both IWB and OWB. The Model 130 is basically the same and has the thumb break, but I don't know how that would feel IWB. I don't think it would be very comfortable, but that's up to you. I really like the 125, and unlike some IWB holsters I've used, I'm not afraid its going to come out of my pants with the gun during a draw stroke. I'd recommend trying the 130 on and seeing how it feels. Bianchi makes a good product and I haven't been disappointed yet. If the thumb break doesn't chafe too bad, the 130 should be a good choice.

Thanks for all of the suggestions. From the videos I've seen it appears most women wear the IWB holster on the rear hip/buttock versus in front of the hip. Is this a comfort factor or it is just more concealable in this location? Most of my conceal needs would be in a suit/slacks vs. jeans. I have followed the previous threads about the need for a good belt and will go that route when I purchase a new holster. Don't get me started on the lack of "attractive" female belts that can hold their own weight. They just don't exist.

In the office, questioning my life choices
    For me wearing it slightly behind the hip is both more comfortable and more concealable. I would think--although without any data to back it up-- that this would be especially true for a female agent. If you're used to wearing a belt holster, it will change your draw just a little bit because the gun is a couple of inches further back on your body than normal. Wearing it in this position also means your clothes will have to be altered slightly less than if you put it directly on your hip.

To me, IWB in front of the hip always sticks out too far to be truly concealable and is too uncomfortable over extended periods, especially when sitting down. Behind the hip works much better for me and, in my experience, the majority of people. The only ones I have known who opt for IWB in front of their hip with any sort of standard sized duty weapon all seem to be 6'5" or taller and have just the right build for it.