Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

As a woman...Consideration of Joining MSHP

Oh, Joy...my subject has to many "g's" in Joining...Anyways.....As a woman who is trying to get out of funeral service, I have recently applied as a Driver Examiner but if that does not fall through, I am considering the Missouri Highway Patrol, I just had a few questions...

1) What would be a good way to train for the academy?

2) What should I expect in the academy, day to day?

3) Do recruits get paid during their time in the academy?

5) What typically happens after the academy?

4) What type of things do they ask in the polygraph?

5) I heard that Troop C is hurting for recruits, is that true?

Last edited by DelC; 01-13-2013 at 19:47. Reason: Spelling: Changed Joiningg to Joining

Don't take this the wrong way, but I suggest you drop the "as a woman" mindset.

A shotgun doesn't kick any less, your partner doesn't weigh any less when you have to drag him out of the line of fire, Ray-Ray doesn't run any slower or punch any softer because you're a woman. Bullets, methheads and all the rest don't care that you're a woman.

Chances are that you're smaller than the average recruit with less upper body strength than the average recruit. If you want to be a trooper that means you have to be tougher than the average recruit, work harder than the average recruit and put up with more crap than the average recruit.

Thinking of yourself "as a woman" probably isn't the mindset you'll want to have or need to have to accomplish that.

Don't worry, I've had to have the same discussion with more than one female Soldier that Hadji doesn't give a damn about their plumbing, and the ones that do don't "care" in a good way. Machine guns and body armor don't weigh less for them either.

Lots of your other questions can probably be answered with a search here or on the other prominent LE forums.

Good luck in your endeavors.

The MHSP has its workforce diversity plan posted as a link on its home page along with links to their current recruitment. The days when women were new to policing in any significant way is about 40 years in my rear view mirror. A search around here is a good idea, but I would start by typing www in a search engine and following that with .mshp.dps.missouri.gov.

Also, welcome aboard and good luck, but please understand that we allow no discussion of the polygraph or the questions asked.
    ret.

Quote Originally Posted by TB_13 View Post
    What would be a good way to train for the academy?
    Run....run....run. The Academy is very physical training orientated. I wouild suggest doing weight training/push-ups as you will be doing those as well. And when you think you are done....Keep Running. The hills at the Academy suck balls....

What should I expect in the academy, day to day?
    Very Military style (stressing VERY) You will wake up and do PT in the morning and in class all day....wtih DT sessions tossed in. Rooms are inspected daily and you are expected to be in a squared away uniform daily.

Do recruits get paid during their time in the academy?
    Yes. Google MSHP and pull up the recruit info....and it will show a starting salary while you are in training.

What typically happens after the academy?
    During the academy, you will be allowed to rate in preference where you want to go.....and they will try to work with you ....but in the end you will always go to the needs of the Patrol.

You will be assigned a Troop then they will assign you a Zone. You will know before you graduate. Once you get to your Zone, you will meet up with your FTO and be in FTO phase for 6 months. They do the "San Jose" Style FTO. Which means, you will ride and observe for so long....then get to drive and do stuff on your own....and work up till you are released if they think you are up to speed.

Also, during the academy, once you find your Troop/Zone, you will be expected to do some ride-alongs as well.....

What type of things do they ask in the polygraph?
    Per House Rules..... No answer.
    5) I heard that Troop C is hurting for recruits, is that true?
    All Troops are hurting. If you put in for a Metro area, you will probably get it....