Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

CHIA Seeds (Salvia Hispanica)

I've heard of all the good nutritional information regarding Chia seeds and it's the new crave around. I decided to go and buy some to include them in my smoothies. I get home, look at the label and it says "Chia seeds - Salvia Hispanica". Now i remember before i left the Air Force there was this huge undergoing because of airmen and locals getting high of Salvia and the Wing Commander decided to include it in the banned substances. I think they were somehow smoking salvia. While I now Salvia is not illegal in the US, does anyone known if Chia seeds will be something that will pop positive on a drug test and/or isn't even something that is currently being looked for. I have not tried the Chia seeds yet and i saved the receipt just in case.

From what I know about toxicology/drug screens, I would be shocked if they were specific enough to detect that, unless they had prior suspicion.

With that said, consider the risk vs. benefit and decide for yourself. I would think living beyond reproach would beat any nutritional gains from chia seeds

Thanks for response. I contacted a manufacturer of the item and this is what they said:

"Thank you for your inquiry. Unfortunately we do not have information on whether the Chia Seeds would come up on a Drug Test. I would imagine not, as it is simply an all natural seed with nothing added to it and is not considered as part of an “opiate” plant.

Are you thinking of Poppy Seeds? Because this particular seed will show up on a drug test and should be avoided prior to any testing.

Please let us know if you have any further questions."

I don't want to post what are on typical tox screens, but I would be shocked if it would give a false positive for you.

I looked Salvia up (Salvia divinorum), and it apparently is an opioid compound, like poppy seeds, but it appears to exert its main affect via Dopamine.

Salvia hispanica does not appear to be closely related to it, so I think it would be almost impossible for it to give you a false positive.