Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

Suspended license.

Hey guys I'm currently looking into PBSO or BSO. Only thing is I know PBSO says you can have a suspended license in the past five years. My license was suspended for forgetting about a seat belt ticket which is 100% my fault for not being more responsible. This was about a year ago. Any way to get around it or maybe even a waiver or is that wishful thinking? Thanks in advance!

Having a suspended drivers license usually shows a complete lack of responsibility on your behalf. It seems that you have owned up to that, but why would an agency waive it?

I think you have some wishful thinking. Sorry to break it to you.

I think I already knew the answer. Just thought maybe because it was something small.

Looking through your bank records & garbage..
    20+ years back my license was suspended for... wait for it... cancellation of my insurance.

(The back story? Dead broke, didn't pay the monthly premium... if the insurance cancelled on Monday, by Wednesday I had a new policy. Problem is, it DID lapse for a day, which carried an automatic suspension in that state. Rut roh. Didn't matter that the car was off the road and not running at the time, hence, my lack of urgency in paying to insure it.)

Not the same circumstances, but it didn't slow me down. I had to truthfully disclose, of course, and one employer DID ask for a full statement NOT about the suspension per se but rather the lack of financial responsibility that led to me deciding to not pay.

It might be a problem for you. Or, it might not. Since you generally lose nothing by applying, I'd do so and let the chips fall where they'll fall. Future reference, though, driving under suspension is arrestable in many states. Bad ju-ju.

Like DennisNJ, I also had a suspended DL in college. Mine was for failure to pay a ticket, which I completely forgot about. I have had to explain it 100 times, but it never kept me from getting hired. However, in the OP's case, the agency he is applying for specifically states you cannot have had a suspension within 5 years of application and he states his was within a year or so. I suspect that will be a show stopper since it is their stated policy.

"You're about as useful as a poopy flavored lollipop!" - Patches O'Houlihan

Yeah, I agree with the above posters. I think every applicant has a skeleton or two in their closet. Apply and what's the worst that can happen?

In the process for a probation position and it required my 5-year driving record. Went to DMV and the gentleman said that my license was suspended since 2007 He stated that it was from a ticket that wasn't paid, and then when I paid the ticket, I never came in the reinstate my license. I never knew it was suspended in the first place and didn't know that you had to go back to the DMV to reinstate your license.

I paid a $35 fee to reinstate it, but the weird part was I had been stopped 3 times since then and was issued one ticket out of those 3 stops (in 2009). Not one of the officers said anything about my license being suspended. On top of that, my current place of employment requires that I have a valid license as I drive to and from home visits. They check it when you're hired and randomly afterwards. I have never had anyone tell me it was suspended.

It was quite embarrassing because as a poster mentioned above, it shows complete lack of responsibility. I explained it to my BI and there weren't any restrictions in requirements for the position I am applying for in terms of how many years removed a suspended license my be. Needless to say, I wasn't proud when I explained that I didn't know my license was suspended for 6 years.