Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

Neck Strains/Injuries Resulting from Sit-Ups

It seems that my neck is constantly tight and sore from following FBI PFT sit-up protocol with fingers interlocked behind head during sit-ups. Once every month or two I will wake up the next morning with a very stiff neck to the point where it makes it difficult to look to change lanes on the freeway. Generally, this occurs after several days of workouts involving protocol sit-ups. I am working on keeping my elbows pointed out towards my left and right during sit-ups but have developed the bad habit of my elbows pointing towards my knees which seems to cause a more pulling effect on my head/neck. Any advice and similiar issues or resolutions would be appreciated. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by FinalCountdown View Post
    It seems that my neck is constantly tight and sore from following FBI PFT sit-up protocol with fingers interlocked behind head during sit-ups. Once every month or two I will wake up the next morning with a very stiff neck to the point where it makes it difficult to look to change lanes on the freeway. Generally, this occurs after several days of workouts involving protocol sit-ups. I am working on keeping my elbows pointed out towards my left and right during sit-ups but have developed the bad habit of my elbows pointing towards my knees which seems to cause a more pulling effect on my head/neck. Any advice and similiar issues or resolutions would be appreciated. Thanks!
    The only things I can think of are as follows:
    1) Do you sleep on your back or stomach?
    2) Are you doing upper and lower back exercises?

Quote Originally Posted by DrGlock View Post
    The only things I can think of are as follows:
    1) Do you sleep on your back or stomach?
    2) Are you doing upper and lower back exercises?
    I tend to start off sleeping on my back, wake up on my stomach. I do scissor kicks for lower back and pull-ups for upper back.

Try sitting up cupping your ears vs. hands behind your nek. Sounds like your inadvertently pulling on your neck forcing out reps. I had the same issue and trained as above. Tested as per protocols when it counted.
    Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!
    Hunter S. Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by FinalCountdown View Post
    I tend to start off sleeping on my back, wake up on my stomach. I do scissor kicks for lower back and pull-ups for upper back.
    I've had some neck/lower back issues in the past. They mainly seemed to stem from sleeping on my stomach and muscle imbalances from developing chest/abs moreso than lower/upper back.

Not sure if that's helpful to you or not.

Thanks dmclark and DrGlock. I have been doing protocol sit-ups, focusing on placing very little tension between my open palms and back of head. Once I hit the point where the sit-ups become more difficult and I notice the tension on my head from my hands to increase, I switch to cupping my ears to finish out the set.

Wrestlers bridges and planks can really help you here.