Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

Administration of Justice

I'm currently attending Pennsylvania State University, I'm entering my junior year and I have to declare my major soon. I have previous LE experience while in th US Navy and my heart is in LE, I have intentions on majoring in AOJ and doing a minor in Political Science. I've seen some redflags about CJ/AOJ degrees like too many out there, agencies want technical degrees, they teach you what you need to know at FLETC etc. I know there is not a degree that locks you in but does your Major matter? Does reputation of said University matter? I'm trying to get some insight to set myself up for success, any help is appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by trv111 View Post
    I'm currently attending Pennsylvania State University, I'm entering my junior year and I have to declare my major soon. I have previous LE experience while in th US Navy and my heart is in LE, I have intentions on majoring in AOJ and doing a minor in Political Science. I've seen some redflags about CJ/AOJ degrees like too many out there, agencies want technical degrees, they teach you what you need to know at FLETC etc. I know there is not a degree that locks you in but does your Major matter? Does reputation of said University matter? I'm trying to get some insight to set myself up for success, any help is appreciated!
    Take a look at the websites of specific agencies you want to apply to. They should list some critical skill areas desired. This hiring climate is bad, and landing an 1811 or other federal LE position is hard. As many other people on this board have advised students in the past: study something in a field where you would be happy working for several years. The hiring process is long, and you will need professional experience post-university, so make sure you study something which 1): gives you a competitive advantage over other applicants ie: accounting, finance, IT, etc. and 2): Something you can see yourself doing and enjoying in case the federal law enforcement ship never sails.

The needs of all agencies are changing. If they recruit a bunch of computer nerds for a couple classes then they will have other needs to fill shortly thereafter. I don't think reputation of a school plays too heavily into the process. Although, I think most people would agree that a degree from a large XYZ State School is more powerful than something from University of Phoenix, Post Online, etc. Not to bash on those online-schools, but there is largely a negative connotation associated with them.

Attend a good state school, study something science-based that you enjoy, have a high GPA, belong to clubs and honor societies, sit in the front of the class, get your professors to know your name, pilot some projects and do some good work and things will happen for you. Good luck.

Ga pretty much summed it up. If you truly love CJ then major in it. You are likely to do best in a couse of study you enjoy. Otherwise, which major you choose or which school you graduated from does not normally matter in any big way. A few large agencies have special career tracks for some fields but these also change over time. The other exception is natural resources LE. These agencies often require a field of study related to natural resource protection in some manner.

You didn't specify what type of LE work you were interested in. As stated above, Fed LE is very tight right now. In two years, who knows. We have been near frozen for so long you might hit at a perfect time or it could be even more austere. Work hard, stay in shape, keep your nose clean, and cast a wide net when looking for that 1st foot in the door. Good Luck and keep the board informed of your progress.
    "There is no second place winner"-- Bill Jordan