Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

Interview on the 7th

Toured the radio room yesterday, and have my interview for the dispatcher position on the 7th with 2 other canidates.

I think there is 3 positions open and not sure how many made it to the interview stage.

As far as I know this is my last hurdle exept for drug test etc.

Any last minute advice?

Interview On The 7th

Sure, keep up the good work!

Quote Originally Posted by Justm View Post
    Toured the radio room yesterday, and have my interview for the dispatcher position on the 7th with 2 other canidates.

I think there is 3 positions open and not sure how many made it to the interview stage.

As far as I know this is my last hurdle exept for drug test etc.

Any last minute advice?
    Study the agency's mission, vision, goals, etc. and be able to recite them in case they ask. Also, look at the original vacancy announcement and be able to talk about how their needs for the position align with your skills, education, and background.

Other than that, suit up, clean shave / short hair, no cologne, don't smoke before (if you're a smoker), relax, and be confident, you got this! I used to get nervous for interviews but then I reminded myself: you're there for a reason. They think you are already qualified and they are interested. Show them how valuable an addition you will be to their team. Good luck!

Thanks for the well wishes and advice, this is my 6th or 7th attempt, and only my 2nd time interviewing. Just hoping it ends up better this time lol. They even recognize me without me saying my name.

Second what GA12 said. Know what they are interested in. Don't ask about whether 'this is a good stepping stone to get on patrol" or anything else that would indicate you are a short timer. Think about an actual incident in the past where you kept your cool in a heated situation, and be able to articulate that concisely. Don't ask about benefits, salary, or things like that. Wait till they bring it up, or speak to HR.
    "Gentlemen, get the thing straight once and for all– the policeman isn't there to create disorder, the policeman is there to preserve disorder." ~ Richard J. Daley

Plan on making it clear this is a career position for me. They have high turnover, usually hire about twice a year. Tempted to ask about taking training materials home with me during my 2 weeks notice time period to get a head start on codes etc if I get the job.

Also have several incidents from my nurse aid background I can use as a indicator of dealing with stress and multitasking.