Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

Background Standards for Experienced Dispatchers

I am an experienced law enforcement dispatcher with a sketchy employment history. I do not want to go into what happened that resulted in my loss of a job as a dispatcher, but I will say it had nothing to do with substance abuse, criminal activity, nor anything that happened while I was working on a call/radio.

Despite this firing, I was very lucky to have found an agency that immediately hired me, and then found another, and another. I've been dispatching for a over decade and have grown in my career. My work record has been consecutively spotless for the better part of a decade, but now I am at a roadblock--a glass ceiling. I am actively looking for a promotional opportunity to be a Dispatch Supervisor, but oops--I have that firing on my record. (To be exact, It was a resignation, not a firing). Every agency I have spoken to gives me the cold shoulder when I mention that history.

I have been observing that many agencies are relaxing drug usage standards to bring more people into their available pool of workers. (I have never once used illegal controlled substance drugs--ever). It makes my jaw drop to see that people who admittedly use cocaine, meth, or even hallucinogens are being welcomed into public safety communications with open arms, while my one negative employment experience that is dated and stale is an absolute bar to advancement in the field.

If anyone might point me to a Progressive agency willing to promote and hire based on Recent employment history (5-7 years), I would greatly appreciate it.

Background Standards For Experienced Dispatchers

So, are you interested in ANY agency in the whole United States then?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim1348 View Post
    So, are you interested in ANY agency in the whole United States then?
    Well, I wouldn't be opposed to relocating if it offered me an opportunity for advacement. I am looking at primarily eastern states.