Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

Page 1 of 21 1234567891011 ... LastLast

ATF Industry Operations Investigator 8/2013

Thought I'd start a new thread for those who possibly applied to this annoucement. (hopefully the right forum ).

In reference to ATF Industry Operations Investigators (IOI). There's a current posting for this position on USAjobs with ATF (just for current/former federal employees or VETs, I believe).

Do IOI's often trasfer to the special agents within ATF? and this position shows a promotion potential of GS-13... is it pretty automatic with ATF to get your promotions year-by-year (granted your preformance appraisal is on the up-and-up) up to the max grade for the position? The agency I'm with now, promotions are pretty automatic up to the max grade level of the position.

I'm currently a GS-12 the max grade level for my position. GS-5/7/9 (starting grade for an IOI) to a GS-13 is a BIG pay difference .

I recommend you do both a search on the position on the forums and review all the information ATF puts about the position on its website (http://www.atf.gov/content/Careers/c...s-investigator). Going back the position has had different titles, including ATF Inspector. I've lost track of the grade progression for IOI's, but through Grade 11 or 12 it will probably be after one successful year in the prior grade. There may be a couple of years before the 13.

IOI's do not often transfer to special agent positions and I would caution potential applicants that it historically has not been seen as or treated as a development pool for agents. It is a separate and important career in ATF. IOI's may work with agents on some issues and in others their work and that of agents is strictly segregated. ATF is properly thoughtful about abuse of regulatory authority as a circumvention of criminal procedure.

Notwithstanding the above, IOI's do from time to time make competitive application to be considered for special agent positions, but there is no shortcut or special process.

I looked at the announcement and note that the position is advertised at the entry level (5,7,9) so it is not a so-called lateral announcement. An applicant at a grade higher than 9 in their current position would be considered for the grade and step for which they qualify at the level closest to their current base pay level. That could be a BIG pay difference and would have to be evaluated against future promotion potential.

IOI supervisors are 14's and field supervisors report to a director of industry operations who is a 15 reporting to the SAC. As with special agents, IOI's hold a number of key leadership positions within ATF, which may well be at the Senior Executive Service level.

Although things have changes since the move to DOJ (a number of revenue functions were left in Treasury in the Alcohol and Tobacco Tax and Trade Bureau), IOI's are a key part of the authority ATF exercises. Over the years, folks ask "How do alcohol, tobacco, firearms and explosives go together?" My snarky answer is that they are everything that is legal that keeps us awake at night. Actually, it is the interrelated framework of law enforcement, regulatory and administrative oversight and tax law by which each of these industries is controlled to some degree that brings them or offenses relating to these commodities into ATF's mission bucket.

IOI's were and I believe still are bargaining unit positions, represented by the National Treasury Employees Union and certain rules about promotion, transfer, selection are subject to an agreement between ATF and NTEU. IOI's do not carry firearms, do not have arrest authority and are not covered by either LEAP or AUO. Again subject to change since I left, IOI's either had access to government vehicles leased from GSA or used their POV on a mileage reimbursable basis. There is no blanket home storage authority for the leased GOV's. In general, the position should be seen as a regulatory compliance or administrative investigator, not a criminal investigator. However, a great job on its own merits.

Folks interested in this work generally might also want to check out TTB at http://www.ttb.gov/.
    Last edited by ATF SAC; 08-08-2013 at 11:55.
    ret.

Hi All!

I recently saw an opening on USA jobs about an Industry Operations Investigator and wanted to get some more information about the job.

First off, I'm excited to even be applying to the ATF, and from the job posting, it looks like a really good job that's meaningful, which is something I want in a job/career. However, does anyone know what the job typically consists of? It seems like you'd be assisting SAs mostly, which would be a great learning experience on its own accord. But, this is the first I've seen about the job and am still researching it on other forums and the like. Is it primarily a desk job, or can you get your hands a little bit dirty? (I'm fine with both, and plan on applying anyways, but it's nice to know specifics too)

Second, this is more aimed at any ATF personal, but I noticed that there are a lot of choices for the vacancies. A LOT. And that an applicant can only choose up to five duty locations. I'm lucky. I'm young and single, so I can move anywhere at the drop of a hat. But wouldn't mind knowing if there are any places that have a greater need for this position(s)? Or if it's similar to CBP's process where they might tell you your chances are better at X location, after you've applied. There's a few locations near where I live, but I have no problem moving if it helps get me the job and wouldn't want to 'waste' a duty location selection if there's no chance of getting selected for it.

Also, any advice for the hiring process? I've never seen a vacancy with this many openings at once in the Federal Government. Does that come from high turnover ratings? Or is there an actual need for the position to warrant so many offerings?

In the office, questioning my life choices
    Our IOI's are not sworn law enforcement personnel and are responsible for fulfilling ATF's administrative duty of licensing and inspecting Federal Firearms Licensees (aka gun stores, manufacturers, and wholesalers), along with Federal Explosives Licensees. They don't have guns or arrest authority, and they don't investigate criminal offenses. They spend a good deal of their time doing compliance and initial licensing inspections for FFLs and FELs, and will occasionally interact with the criminal enforcement (aka Special Agents) if a case specifically warrants it. Its a specific personality type that seems to be good at--and enjoy-- the IOI job. They have a passion for process, and are experts on the civil regulations surrounding ATF. My experience with them has been that they spend the vast majority of their time out of the office and usually write their reports at home.

I don't know much about the hiring process for IOIs, but I'd guess that if we posted all of those locations its because we have a need in those cities. Unlike criminal investigators, IOIs tend to be local hires. Accordingly, I'd pick 5 places you're interested in living and go for it. My personal feeling is that the IOIs seem to be around forever and ever. I certainly don't have visibility on them nationwide, but the ones that I've worked with seem to stay on the job a long time. If they're retiring at a rate anywhere near that of ATF's criminal investigators, we undoubtedly need to hire dozens just to keep up with attrition.

While applying to this position, I learned that this announcement received thousands of applicants. Being a federal employee for over 10 years (law enforcement, no military), I understand that 5 and 10 point veterans have a slight edge over us non-military folks. I figure it's worth a shot to jump from my current 9 to a potential 13. Does anyone know if there is a scheduled hiring timeline for this announcement?

It was a "status" announcement, unless I am mistaken, everyone is considered equally on status announcements, vets and non-vets alike. The only difference is that certain qualified vets who aren't current feds can apply and be appointed up to GS-11.

I forgot about that caveat about status announcements, thanks for the reminder kingy1175. Has anyone heard if there is a scheduled hiring timeline for this announcement?

On 8/28 I found out my application was rated eligible and referred to the selecting officials. It sounds like this process can take quite awhile so hopefully down the road that leads to an interview. I'm currently working at the VA and would love to get into this role as a career track. Good luck to all. Please let everyone know if you're getting notices about movement. Take care.

I have not heard anything yet. :-( I hope to hear soon. Has anyone called the POC on the announcement, and received any feedback? I'm a 12 now, but willing to go back to get to the location I want.

Hey guys have anyone received any updates on the aug posting for this job yet?

Ridge that was quick which locations did you choose?

Quote Originally Posted by Bigal35 View Post
    Ridge that was quick which locations did you choose?
    I actually only put in for Denver. It's home for us so that is it. No movement beyond that. Maybe they have more openings but that is just a guess. Good luck to everyone. Let you know if I hear anything. Take care!

I got notified the other day that they qualified me as a 5,7,& 9. The notice from USAJobs said they used the VRA. I hope they can bring me on as an 11 like the announcement indicated.

Scully what locations did you choose?

Quote Originally Posted by Bigal35 View Post
    Scully what locations did you choose?

Hello. i also applied to the OII and recently received several emails stating that i was qualified for 5/7/9.
    on usajobs it states i was referred to the hiring official with disabled vet preference.

i was a bit confused on the announcement with veteran status so i called HR today to get some info and here is what i found out.

- they have NOT begun to conduct interviews.
    - they received lots of applicants. (as one can imagine in this economy).
    - the process is moving slowly.

in the announce it stated that as a VRA applicant you can be brought in as a GS-11. however HR stated to me that they are ONLY hiring GS 5/7/9 and will not be giving anyone a GS11 spot.

it looks like its going to be a long and competitive process.