Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

Thread: New member here

New member here

Hi everyone,

I am new to this forum and joined in hopes of gaining advice about how and where to start looking for jobs. I graduated with a Bachelor of Science degree in criminal justice in December 2012. I do not want to be a law enforcement officer. Although, a dispatcher position does interest me. I have no experience yet, and I am having a tough time finding an entry level position. I recently applied for a correctional officer position just to start my career out and be able to being networking. Basically, when the I turned in my application the person laughed in my face for having a BS in CJ and applying for the correctional officer position. My question is how am I suppose to start my career out and gain experience if people just laugh at me because I have a Bachelor's degree and am applying for entry level positions? All I want is to be able to gain experience, so I can start my career out. Please help!

Quote Originally Posted by Moore2013 View Post
    Hi everyone,

I am new to this forum and joined in hopes of gaining advice about how and where to start looking for jobs. I graduated with a Bachelor of Science degree in criminal justice in December 2012. I do not want to be a law enforcement officer. Although, a dispatcher position does interest me. I have no experience yet, and I am having a tough time finding an entry level position. I recently applied for a correctional officer position just to start my career out and be able to being networking. Basically, when the I turned in my application the person laughed in my face for having a BS in CJ and applying for the correctional officer position. My question is how am I suppose to start my career out and gain experience if people just laugh at me because I have a Bachelor's degree and am applying for entry level positions? All I want is to be able to gain experience, so I can start my career out. Please help!
    Not sure why they laughed at you. Corrections is a good field and a solid starting point. .

The person that took my application was a correctional officer himself, so my thought is that he did not even turn it in to the appropriate person. He asked me why I wanted to be a correctional officer and my reply to him was "I recently graduated college and am looking for a job to start out my career." He responded with "Well if you are trying to get your foot in the door...you just walked through a door!" He was being extremely sarcastic and asked me if I was crazy.This has made me very discouraged and thinking that every employee that I encounter when I apply for a job will be like this. I am just looking for experience. Any suggestions on how to go about finding a job?

Stay focus and don't let others deter you from your objective. Check with your local police dept or sheriff office to see what they may have to offer. Monster.com, usajobs.com and other online search engines are good. If not, then visit your state employment office and see what they can do to help. You have a good degree you deserve more than a dispatcher job but it's your life live it accordingly. Good luck

Hi There...

Quote Originally Posted by Moore2013 View Post
    Please help!
    Hey there partner...let's see if we can ease up some of your angst...

The CO you dealt with must of been a little bit salty...probably thinking that who, with a degree, would want to work here...or another degree holder that wants experience just to leave...along those lines anyway...most folks in LE prefer to be in the open air of the street instead of behind the many walls of a correctional facility...having been a frequent visitor to the correctional facility environment...can say that I'd never consider a job there...but folks are different and they have unique ways of desiring to contribute to society...so thank you for exploring ways to give a little back...

Since you may run into folks in the correctional area who believe you are over qualified if you have a degree...you need to practice your delivery on why you want to serve in corrections...you need to be able to communicate to them that corrections is your goal and not a step along the way...so you need to explore the many career opportunities within corrections and see where you best fit...and the rest would be up to you...

But since COs and LEOs are naturally crusty...it is incumbent upon you to take the necessary steps to allay their fears during your application process...would imagine this would be a good resource to figure out the different career paths within corrections...the different jobs available...and the ups and downs of the field...

So good on ya...CC
    "Every hero becomes a bore at last." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Thank you so much for the advice and suggestions. If I was to go into the corrections field I would want a position such as case manager. Outside of corrections I would want some type of position within the CJ field where I could still help society, but not be out on the streets.