Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

Opinions of HP among LE

I was watching a video on FHP and some of the comments indicated that HP is less respected, possibly because of their primary traffic enforcement duties. Any truth to this?

Whether...

Quote Originally Posted by SephStorm View Post
    I was watching a video on FHP and some of the comments indicated that HP is less respected, possibly because of their primary traffic enforcement duties. Any truth to this?
    Pickels...covered wagons...or basketballs...don't ever listen to the press when deciding something is of more value than another something...CC
    "Every hero becomes a bore at last." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Agreed, thats why I came here. Nearly 200 views and only one response makes me wonder. I'll check with the local PD, see what they have to say.

Opinions Of HP Among LE

I suspect you are referring to the Florida Highway Patrol, since they are the only state in the United States that starts with the letter F. Anyway, I neither live nor work anywhere near Florida, so I really have absolutely no opinion whatsoever about the FHP. As far as the issue of respect goes, are you referring specifically to respect from other police agencies or the public in general? If you meant the public in general, there is always a bit of animosity between the police and those that are policed. It is just the nature of the beast, so to speak. Even people that are great citizens can get a traffic tag for a few miles per hour over the speed limit, etc.

Now if you are referring to respect from other police agencies, then that is another matter. The nature of policing in the United State is such that there are numerous agencies at the city, township, county, state, and federal levels. Add in special districts, parks, tribal, military, etc, there are a LOT of different agencies. The reason I point that out is there is always some rivalry between agencies. The big city PD thinks the county is a bunch of bumpkins, the county SO thinks the SP while tag their mother, the state patrol thinks the city PD is retired on duty, etc. There are lots of opinions within the law enforcement community and I think the issue of respect directly ties into the opinions. Every job, police or not, has its pros and cons. If it is an issue of you considering the FHP for employment, figure out what works for you. If respect is a huge deal breaker for you, than so be it. Just know that opinions are truly like *ssholes. Everyone has one!

Respect is very much a relative thing, and law enforcement is filled with people who have varying and often strong opinions about everything. Add in interagency rivalries, personality conflicts, and overlapping jurisdictions, and you are going to find people who don't like agency XYZ. You can always find someone who will tell you, "agency XYZ isn't real police work or isn't as good as agency ABC because they are only local/state/federal/traffic/investigative/patrol/whatever." It's mostly nonsense and doesn't reflect the general view of most LEOs in my experience.

That said, if you are considering a highway patrol agency as a career, the bigger question is whether the mission is what you want to do. If you want to work large scale narcotics investigations, then an agency without a drug unit probably isn't the right fit, as one example.

Assuming you are talking about Florida, it's a little unusual in that you have a State investigative agency (FDLE) that has a higher profile and many of the responsibilities that are normally handled by the SP or HP in many other states.