Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

I made 1 HUGE mistake and I fear it will end me

I have never done drugs or abused prescription medication and have no other blemishes on my conscious, however there is one glaring blemish that I think will kill any future career I have in the intel or law enforcement. About 3 years ago (23) I was prescribed a schedule III prescription pain medication following stitches. I did not take the pills, which led to my stupid mistake, I sold 2-3 pills to a close friend for $12. This is the only time I did something like this and it was a stupid immature mistake that I fear will haunt me forever. Admittedly I didn't realize at the time the seriousness of my actions (still not an excuse), but I still really don't know what led me to do something so stupid. Is there any way I can redeem myself in the future? I am being looked at by various agencies (state, DoD, military, law enforcement) and my education and lifelong dream has been to work in intelligence/homeland security. Is this dream dead?

Quote Originally Posted by Rabbit_hole View Post
    I have never done drugs or abused prescription medication and have no other blemishes on my conscious, however there is one glaring blemish that I think will kill any future career I have in the intel or law enforcement. About 3 years ago (23) I was prescribed a schedule III prescription pain medication following stitches. I did not take the pills, which led to my stupid mistake, I sold 2-3 pills to a close friend for $12. This is the only time I did something like this and it was a stupid immature mistake that I fear will haunt me forever. Admittedly I didn't realize at the time the seriousness of my actions (still not an excuse), but I still really don't know what led me to do something so stupid. Is there any way I can redeem myself in the future? I am being looked at by various agencies (state, DoD, military, law enforcement) and my education and lifelong dream has been to work in intelligence/homeland security. Is this dream dead?
    For DEA, you are done. I can't speak for anyone else.

If you were 18 at the time, I'd feel for you. However, you were 23, well into adulthood and decided to sell pills,... period. Yes, you made a big mistake. It won't impact the rest of your life, but will impact your ability to qualify for certain positions. You'll DQ from DEA for sure. Other Fed LEOs can chime in for their particular agencies. Good luck to you
    Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!
    Hunter S. Thompson

Somewhere between a rock and a hard place
    Pretty much SOL for the FBI as well
    That is the law. . . according to the rules.

Looking through your bank records & garbage..
    The SF-86 generally asks about drug-related misconduct in the past seven years, but some things are forever (misconduct while in a position of responsibility-- LE, military, courts, security clearance, etc.) Even with the SF-86 questions crafted that way, many agencies will ask much more broad "supplemental questions" because their adjudication standards are less flexible. Answer truthfully but know that yes, likely you are SOL for many agencies.

BTW, it wasn't 2-3, $12, or a close friend. Betcha you're wondering how I know this, huh? I'll tell you, but only if you first-- just for entertainment-- tell us how it ACTUALLY went.

Quote Originally Posted by DennisNJ View Post
    BTW, it wasn't 2-3, $12, or a close friend. Betcha you're wondering how I know this, huh? I'll tell you, but only if you first-- just for entertainment-- tell us how it ACTUALLY went.
    Not really sure what you are think you are getting at here, but the truth is I most likely did not profit from the sale of the pills and instead simply gave them away. However I do remember I was offered money for them after sharing them. I am almost certain I did not take anything for them and I have even asked person a few years later and they said they did not give me anything. However, since I am not 100% certain, I am planning to just admit that I have. Also the reason I shared them was because the person had recently broken their leg and did not have access to their prescribed pain medication.

Additionally, I should add that I am interested in the support aspect of law enforcement more than actual law enforcement since I am a PhD candidate who is focusing their study on human trafficking. I realize that I am still ineligible for many agencies, but not sure how it would work as far as consulting/contractor or the support side of the track

Dude. Or Dr. Dude, PhD, you trafficked in controlled substances. That's a big disqualifier for a clearance from any organization with which I am familiar, and rightly so. I can't imagine any law enforcement agency hiring you in any capacity given your admitted history as a drug trafficker.

Looking through your bank records & garbage..
    Quote Originally Posted by Rabbit_hole View Post
    Not really sure what you are think you are getting at here, but the truth is I most likely did not profit from the sale of the pills and instead simply gave them away. However I do remember I was offered money for them after sharing them. I am almost certain I did not take anything for them and I have even asked person a few years later and they said they did not give me anything. However, since I am not 100% certain, I am planning to just admit that I have. Also the reason I shared them was because the person had recently broken their leg and did not have access to their prescribed pain medication.

Additionally, I should add that I am interested in the support aspect of law enforcement more than actual law enforcement since I am a PhD candidate who is focusing their study on human trafficking. I realize that I am still ineligible for many agencies, but not sure how it would work as far as consulting/contractor or the support side of the track
    If it was a "close friend," you wouldn't have charged him.

If you made the leap to selling percs, you know (hell, even I know, and I'm a white-collar crime guy) that the going price is about 15 each. A little more in a few places, a good bit less in others.

And frankly, nobody sells dope "just once," or admits to selling dope if they didn't actually sell it.

You realize that most of the hiring/deciding officials in Fed LE agencies can smell BS from down the hall, right? Hopefully you're not investing a bunch of time or money in a degree that'll be useless without a clearance.