Results 1 to 5 of 5
Thread: Choosing a center...
11-11-2013, 13:33 #1
Choosing a center...
I am in So Cal and trying to get into dispatch. It looks like I will have a decision to make within the next few weeks of which center I want to work at. I am at the last step for both Riverside County Sheriff and San Bernardino County Sheriff. I was wondering if anyone has any tips on choosing a center or knows about these centers.
I have done sit-alongs at both, and enjoyed my time at both places (got along with people I sat with and came into contact with).
SB: Is closer to where I live, training is 'on the job', starts Dispatcher 1 on call taking, and does radio once you move up to Dispatcher 2. (During sit along - felt more like 2 groups, than one big "family)
RIV: Has training before working in center, all dispatchers rotate call taking and radio, whole center seemed like a big "family" -(even though separated on 2 floors), seemed more organized throughout the hiring process (at least it seemed that way as an applicant).
Any tips or suggestions would be appreciated.
11-13-2013, 20:42 #2Cadet
- Join Date
- Sep 2013
- Southern California
I had a similar situation in choosing between a City Police Department and the County Sheriff’s Department. I went so far to create a spreadsheet with the pro’s and con’s of each agency, which included, but was not limited to; rate of pay, schedule, distance, benefits, and education.
The city police department was on-the-job training while the sheriff’s department had a training program before going live on the phones. I ultimately chose the sheriff’s department for the formal education to obtain the basic understanding of the county, communities, codes, and CAD system.
It was tough decision for me to choose and it will be difficult for you as well. I suggest creating a spreadsheet with the pros and cons of each position to come to a sound and informed decision. You should also ask yourself, will you accept the first offer that comes in ? If so, then your decision is already made.
Good luck with either position.
11-19-2013, 02:40 #3
Thank you Gregory for the thoughtful response. I have been weighing this decision in my head for weeks. I originally thought I'd take whoever offered me a position first. With them both being at the last step at the same time it made me realize I'd have to choose, which is what prompted my original question. I think I know which way I'm leaning, but will make a spreadsheet just to see the pros and cons all together. I think the visual will help me to make the decision with more confidence.
11-21-2013, 16:05 #4
After looking into my tea leaves my gut is telling me that your gut is telling you that RIV is where you want to be. Trust your gut. It is usually right. OTOH, it is very hard to pass a definite offer for one that is "probably" coming. What if it doesn't. Not an easy decision. Good Luck and let us know how it works out."There is no second place winner"-- Bill Jordan
11-28-2013, 03:54 #5
Thanks for the helpful thoughts you guys. The spreadsheet made me feel more confident in choosing the right place, and Jim definitely was right about which way I was leaning. I accepted the position with RIV (was the 2nd offer, they were only about a day and a half apart, but that day and a half was a bit nerve racking, lol). In the end I feel like trusting my gut and having confidence in my choice helped a lot. I start my training the 2nd week of December and am very excited!! Thanks again