Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

Opinions on a Sig M400

I hear that they are good carbines, and they are reasonably priced. Anyone have any info on them?
    "To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead."

Thomas Paine, English American political activist, writer and revolutionary.

Looking through your bank records & garbage..
    Quote Originally Posted by Chaser199 View Post
    I hear that they are good carbines, and they are reasonably priced. Anyone have any info on them?
    For the specs-- I'm seeing them between $900 and $1100 in their "basic" form-- you're largely paying for the SIG roll mark. Not bad rifles by any means, but they're not forged by the Dwarves of Moria or tempered with the tears of angels. It's a basic direct-impingement AR with a 16" chrome-lined barrel. I handled one at my last armorer recert, and an acquaintance shoots one recreationally. No issues reported by the latter.

Most AR "manufacturers" aren't actually manufacturing their own parts... they're assembling parts made by others. The difference is in the quality of parts they're using and their attention to detail on the assembly. Probably not a big deal if you're a recreational shooter, but a bigger issue for us (hate to find out why staking the carrier key important during a lethal encounter, or why an MPI-inspected bolt is a plus.)

The closest Colt equivalent (the 6920) can be widely in the same price range with largely the same specs but with a somewhat more established QC "track record." The upper end of the price range for M400s also puts you into the neighborhood of some other manufacturers (Bravo Company, etc) with excellent reputations and perhaps a few "bonuses" like cold-hammer forged barrels.

Thanks Dennis.

I'm no armorer. I pull the trigger, it goes boom, I dissaemble and clean it, and hopefully the next time I pull the trigger, it goes boom again without falling apart.

It's just going to be for recreational shooting and to be kept under my bed in case Walkers break in.
    "To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead."

Looking through your bank records & garbage..
    Quote Originally Posted by Chaser199 View Post
    Thanks Dennis.

I'm no armorer. I pull the trigger, it goes boom, I dissaemble and clean it, and hopefully the next time I pull the trigger, it goes boom again without falling apart.

It's just going to be for recreational shooting and to be kept under my bed in case Walkers break in.
    Zombie apocalypse: It's not a question of IF, but WHEN.

Other problem with ARs is that they tend to multiply, so if you go the M400 route and enjoy it you may find yourself with a growing aluminum family.

Quote Originally Posted by DennisNJ View Post
    Other problem with ARs is that they tend to multiply, so if you go the M400 route and enjoy it you may find yourself with a growing aluminum family.
    My wife wouldn't like that.

BIG is awaiting a Sig order for the M400, but in the meantime he picked up Sig Classic SWAT w/quad-rails, yesterday. BIG outfitted her with a Magpul AFG and an Aimpoint PRO. Can't wait to "test-drive" her at the range.
    Last edited by Big Sexy; 11-27-2013 at 18:42.
    It is better to be feared than loved, if you cannot be both. - Niccolo Machiavelli

Most people respect the badge, everybody respects the gun.

I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. - Colonel Jessup

If she gives you a "smooth ride," pray tell, please share. Her sister may wind up my house.

I bought one earlier this year as part of a group buy after selling a rock river arms I had had since around 2000 when I was in Arizona. I sold it well under what that model was going for on the websites and then after a few months of regretting it bought the M400 and still came out ahead. It's a nice looking rifle, I stripped it, cleaned it, put some "tactical" crap on it and put it into the empty space in my safe. I like the single point sling adaptor, it came with magpul furniture and flip up sights. Feels tight, no receiver rattle like our work guns..
    "He pulls a knife, you pull a gun, he sends one of yours to the hospital, you send one of his to the morgue, that's the Chicago way.."

Hey Big, Hershel's dead and the Walkers are everywhere.

Let me know how your test drive goes cause I need more firepower than a .40 iffin the Walkers hit my neighborhood.

Thanks BPA2FAM2ICESA, sounds like a thumbs up.

Well, I "pulled trigger" and just ordered an M400 enhanced off Gunbroker.

If I get my wife a great Christmas present, I shouldn't get too much of an earload.