Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

L.E. Dept. with Community Service Officers who work closely with officers.

I want be a CSO or equivalent ,but certain departments say that CSOs only do parking enforcement. Others say that they investigative traffic accidents. I want to be a CSO and carry OC spray and maybe a baton and assist Officers in the field by responding to calls and taking reports not just writing parking tickets. Does anyone know of a L.E. department like that?

Law Enf0rcement Depart With Community Service Officers Who Work Closely With Officers

Are you looking for any like this is ANY state? I am familiar with the CSOs in agencies around my county in Minnesota. Each varies a bit on what they do. For example, some will transport prisoners to jail and others don't. Are you hoping to make a career out of this or will this be a stepping stone to a sworn agency? Most around Minnesota use people who are law enforcement students and you are expected to move on to a sworn spot, either at that agency or another agency. There are, however, some that do have career CSOs.

Another thing worth mentioning is some state police/highway patrol agencies use non-sworn personnel in various capacities. Some have a sort of highway safety program assisting stalled motorists. Some state agencies use non-sworn people for some commercial vehicle enforcement.

Perhaps if you post what state you are in we can give a more accurate answer. I think you might be best off finding agencies close to you. Otherwise, it can get quite expensive traveling to test and interview. It is quite likely that you will find some serious competition for these sorts of jobs because they can be a springboard to a sworn job.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim1348 View Post
    Are you looking for any like this is ANY state? I am familiar with the CSOs in agencies around my county in Minnesota. Each varies a bit on what they do. For example, some will transport prisoners to jail and others don't. Are you hoping to make a career out of this or will this be a stepping stone to a sworn agency? Most around Minnesota use people who are law enforcement students and you are expected to move on to a sworn spot, either at that agency or another agency. There are, however, some that do have career CSOs.

Another thing worth mentioning is some state police/highway patrol agencies use non-sworn personnel in various capacities. Some have a sort of highway safety program assisting stalled motorists. Some state agencies use non-sworn people for some commercial vehicle enforcement.

Perhaps if you post what state you are in we can give a more accurate answer. I think you might be best off finding agencies close to you. Otherwise, it can get quite expensive traveling to test and interview. It is quite likely that you will find some serious competition for these sorts of jobs because they can be a springboard to a sworn job.
    I want make a career out of it. I live in California. I also want be a non-sworn person who does duties close to the duties a sworn person would do if that makes sense. Like I don't want to be a meter maid.

I would imagine that liability issues would prevent anyone who isn't sworn and armed from "responding to calls," whether they have OC and a baton or not.
    "I don't share your greed...the only card I need...is the Ace of Spades, the Ace of Spades..."

I'm also in CA and can tell you the duties a CSO will do will vary greatly between agency. Writing parking tickets is something most CSOs are expected to do as well as full time police officers. Usually a CSO will have more time to write such tickets based on their assigned duties, but even full time sworn police officers carry around a parking ticket citation book (in most places I know of anyway here in CA) and most write a parking ticket or two here and there as well.

Usually a CSO is paid a bit more than a parking enforcement officer, animal control officer, etc (in my experience, not the golden rule, but overall what I have seen). The CSOs I know respond to cold calls for service or calls where no suspect(s) are on scene. So cold auto or residential burglaries, frauds, vandalism, runaway juveniles and missing persons, etc. They take these types of reports so (in theory) a police officer won't be tied up and can continue to respond to active calls for service where suspect(s) contact might be likely, to make arrests, issue traffic citations, or other activities a sworn officer is needed.

Again each agency will have different rules. Some require CSOs to help with animal control when needed (or some places CSOs are also animal control), records, dispatch, etc. Some serve as evidence techs. There are a lot of things you may do as a CSO. As far as I know (or have seen), CSOs may carry (depending on department policy) OC spray as a defensive tool/weapon against animals or people, but that's pretty much the extent of it. I don't believe a CSO can legally carry a baton unless they are given some type of sworn status or unless they have a guard card issued by the state. Since it's illegal for someone to carry a baton who isn't sworn or who doesn't have the proper guard card permit from the state there wouldn't be a way for them to do it legally. Again as far as I'm aware of, if someone else knows something different I'd love to be corrected.

Kahuna
    Humuhumunukunukuapua'a