Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

DA Security Guard GS-0085

There are some older threads on this topic, but I thought I would start a new one.

The Department of the Army has a Security Guard position, series 0085. It is NOT a law enforcement position and does NOT go to FLETC (or any other academy as far as I can tell). However, it might be a good way to get into the system.

There are a couple current announcements on USAJobs for GS-4 and GS-5 positions. I am wondering how high these positions go, grade-wise. From what I can tell it looks like they go up to GS-7, but no idea how many people can expect to get that far.

Also, not clear about the transition potential from 0085 to 0083, which is a "Police" position. Definitely not a covered position but may offer a path to get more training.

I am also curious how they can be posting announcements for these positions when there is so much talk about a reduction in force in Army Installation Management Command (IMCOM) which is where most of these 0085 positions are found.

Quote Originally Posted by patruli View Post
    It is NOT a law enforcement position and does NOT go to FLETC (or any other academy as far as I can tell).
    Depending on the position, you'd have some sort of authority to stop/detain folks.....and its armed. But as stated, its not a LEO gig nor would it fall under LEOSA.

However, it might be a good way to get into the system.
    Perhaps. Perhaps not. Depending on what you are ultimately looking for.

I am wondering how high these positions go, grade-wise.

You'd have to read the announcement as each one is different. If it is a GS-5/6 then you would either be hired at the 5 or 6 (depending on experience) then get promoted to the 6 non-competitively the next year....If you get hired as a 6, then you would get your step increases....but that just is dependent on how the agency does increases...

Also, not clear about the transition potential from 0085 to 0083

There is no transition in most cases. You get hired as a 0085 you are an 85 till you apply for and get hired for a 0083 position......

I am also curious how they can be posting announcements for these positions when there is so much talk about a reduction in force in Army Installation Management Command (IMCOM) which is where most of these 0085 positions are found.
    High turnover in most cases......and they always need gate guards....

Bearcat06, thanks for the reply.

Although the position is not listed as a 5/6/7 like some fed announcements, this position does appear at different grades at different locations. I've found some info indication it goes up at least to GS-7 but apparently these are competitive promotions.

We'll see what happens. It would not be the first time I've been found "not qualified" for a GS-5 position. Hrumph.