Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

proper questions to ask???

Good afternoon,
    I apologize if this is posted in the wrong place, but I had a quick question that I was hoping someone might be able to answer. I am currently in the application process at a large state law enforcement agency, and, through a bit a networking, have been given the opportunity to speak with a high ranking trooper about my ambitions.

Unfortunately, I'm at a bit of a loss as to what to ask. I was wondering if there are any particular questions anyone might be able to suggest. I've been making a list, and, thus far, most of my questions apply to my individual situation - university background, military experience, and student debt just to name a few.

Thank you all in advance for any help with this. I do honestly appreciate it.

Proper Questions To Ask?

I would ask him what qualities make a trooper successful in his agency? Also, ask what sorts of things that you can do right now to prepare yourself and increase your odds of getting selected. Most state police/highway patrols have a significant emphasis on physical fitness. You probably already know that and are in fine shape, since you are former military. See if things like studying a foreign language would be helpful. Maybe the best thing you can do is think about your skills and ask what sorts of things are your weak points. What ever it is, work on it. If you get nervous being interviewed, do some mock interviews. In fact, go through all of the steps. Polish your shoes, put on a suit, and have a friend ask you questions that might be on an interview panel. Also, have you done a ride-along yet with that specific agency? If they allow it, I would encourage you to ask about that. Good luck!

I second focusing more on what he thinks makes a good trooper and how you can better prepare yourself for the hiring process and job. I'd worry less about asking questions specific to your situation...things like student debt are issues that will be addressed in the background process. Since it sounds like this is a more informal opportunity, outside of the hiring process itself, I would focus more on getting advice on how to make yourself a better applicant and increase the likelihood of succeeding as a trainee and new trooper. I would also ask about what types of jobs he has done in his career and find out what assignments/locations he enjoyed most, as talking to someone like that may provide some insight into what you may want to do in the future.

And do NOT ask about what kind of firearms are authorized, how long you have to wait to get off the road or do they have a SWAT team. Ask about mission, history, his thoughts on pluses about the job and advice he could Give you as an applicant.

Think mentor...think long term.
    Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!
    Hunter S. Thompson

Wow, I can't thank you guys enough for the detailed replies! I'll definitely steer the conversation towards more general career questions.

Jim, you mentioned a ride along. Would it be presumptuous to ask the trooper that I'm speaking with if I can participate in one with him personally?

Also, I'm graduating from Penn State in the spring and am attempting to become a naval reserve officer. I will of course have to take time away from my job for this. Is this something I should mention (in either my conversation with the trooper, or my background interview which I am scheduled for) and, if so, how would I go about broaching that subject?

Thank you again for the replies - you've been so helpful.

I absolutely agree dm. I'm looking for something long term here; I don't think the importance of networking can be overstated. I'm attempting to treat law enforcement no differently than I'm treating the military or the policy internships I'm applying for - that is, as professional as possible. I do appreciate the advice though!

I agree with all the above and would add an additional do not ask. Review thoroughly any information posted on the agency website or provided to you and don't ask questions a truly motivated candidate would have researched and found out for themselves. If they have posted information about the academy such as length of training, it is probably unwise to ask how long the academy is.
    ret.