Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

Being an 1811 and Reserve Officer

I am currently an HSI 1811 with an opportunity for a direct commission in the USAR. I am a prior enlisted guy with active duty, NG/USAR time. I am going before the board in a couple weeks. I'm concerned about the challenge of balancing both careers and employer support. I would like to hear experiences from those that have been successful (or not) in juggling both.

I've found one thread similar to this topic back from 6 or 7 years ago. I'd like to hear something a little bit more recent especially with the current drawdown of the U.S. military.

Any non combat deployments (No, I am not afraid to go to combat)?

Pay matching when deployed? It wouldn't be much if I was an O. But just curious.

I'm an older guy so I prefer CS or CSS positions if that matters. No more hoah stuff for me.

Thanks for all responses!
    USBP now ICE 1811

Quote Originally Posted by DallasTX View Post
    I am currently an HSI 1811 with an opportunity for a direct commission in the USAR. I am a prior enlisted guy with active duty, NG/USAR time. I am going before the board in a couple weeks. I'm concerned about the challenge of balancing both careers and employer support. I would like to hear experiences from those that have been successful (or not) in juggling both.

I've found one thread similar to this topic back from 6 or 7 years ago. I'd like to hear something a little bit more recent especially with the current drawdown of the U.S. military.

Any non combat deployments (No, I am not afraid to go to combat)?

Pay matching when deployed? It wouldn't be much if I was an O. But just curious.

I'm an older guy so I prefer CS or CSS positions if that matters. No more hoah stuff for me.

Thanks for all responses!
    I'm an 1811 in a DoJ sub Agency and also a CPT and unit commander. Combat has ended in most cases in the wars, there is a pay differential, and go logistics branch. I'm combat arms (from my active days) and its restricting in the USAR. Your agency will give you 120 military leave hours a year.