Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

Prescription Drug Use DQ?

I am concerned about a prior incident(about a year ago) in which I took a prescription drug (Zithromax Z-Pak), an antibiotic to fight an sinus infection and cold I had at the time. I was at school and did not use correct judgement to go to urgent care to get a prescription after a week of suffering, my question is: How much do you think this will affect me in the background check? I do plan on putting it on my SF 86.

They are concerned with controlled substances. Antibiotics are not controlled substances.

Would this still fall under the three year requirement drug policy that most agencies require though?

I am not a background investigator but no law enforcement job I've had (local or fed) asked about a Z-Pak. I don't recall ever taking one, but they are concerned with you taking other people's prescription controlled substances, as stated above. They don't want you using someone else's pain-killer to get high or without your own prescription. I would still let them know about it because if you have to take a polygraph, you don't want that coming up like you were trying to hide it. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by mattw94 View Post
    Would this still fall under the three year requirement drug policy that most agencies require though?
    No, but if you want to mention it during a poly or background check thats fine.

I would like to point out, though it's a minor quibble, that using ANY prescription drug that was not prescribed to you is in violation of the law, as even a Z-pack is a legend drug that is not to be dispensed without a prescription (unless you're in Mexico! ).

Would any FLA care? I doubt it, but it will be to your benefit to let them make that decision.

As an aside, we are rapidly losing antibiotics as a whole due to indiscriminate prescribing and improper use of antibiotics, and if new antibiotics are not produced in the next 10 years or so, we will have some serious multi-drug resistant bugs out there, and surgery as we know it will be very difficult to perform.