Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

Marijuana use 10 years ago (highschool) (twice, 3 times at most cannot remember)

I tried Marijuana a few times in 2004 and never again after that. I was a Junior in high school and tried it to be "cool" with the wrong friends. I quickly stopped hanging out with them... With that being said I graduated high school went to automotive school, graduated from there, went into the military, was Honorably Discharged in 2009 and went to college. I have a Cumulative GPA of 3.4 majoring in Applied Sociology a focus in law, crime and social justice and a minor in Middle Eastern Studies where I have an "A" average in Arabic I and II. I am currently applying for an internship with the DEA in a major city near me and have to disclose my drug use background. Will they continue to look at my extensive resume and still consider me even if 10 years ago I made a mistake? I understand there might be another thread that covers this, so post a link if you can. Thank you for your help. Also if you are a Federal Agent and you saw this in the hiring process how would you handle it? I can add any more info on my background if need be. Thank you for your help and input.

Quote Originally Posted by JustSayWhen View Post
    I tried Marijuana a few times in 2004 and never again after that. I was a Junior in high school and tried it to be "cool" with the wrong friends. I quickly stopped hanging out with them... With that being said I graduated high school went to automotive school, graduated from there, went into the military, was Honorably Discharged in 2009 and went to college. I have a Cumulative GPA of 3.4 majoring in Applied Sociology a focus in law, crime and social justice and a minor in Middle Eastern Studies where I have an "A" average in Arabic I and II. I am currently applying for an internship with the DEA in a major city near me and have to disclose my drug use background. Will they continue to look at my extensive resume and still consider me even if 10 years ago I made a mistake? I understand there might be another thread that covers this, so post a link if you can. Thank you for your help. Also if you are a Federal Agent and you saw this in the hiring process how would you handle it? I can add any more info on my background if need be. Thank you for your help and input.
    I think you should be fine. You didn't use a lot of times, you didn't use for a prolonged period, and a lot of time has passed. You obviously have had life experience that (in my eyes) would mitigate your past marijuana use. That being said I do not work for the DEA, but I do work for a Federal Agency and your usage would not disqualify you here.

Thank you for your response. I am sending in my resume and internship packet this week and feel very confident about my chances.

When I first got hired to a PD, I had smoked/tried marijuana twice four years earlier (yes, I inhaled). I was hired with no problem. You'll have no problem.

Justsaywhen,

If, what you told us, is true; then you should be fine. All agencies look for pro-longed periods of use, gaps of use, & the type of drug abused. You seem to have a straight head on your shoulders now. So, good luck!