Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim1348 View Post
    Now, if it were me, and I had Glocks that were earlier generations, I might be inclined to move to a newer generation Glock.
    I'll give the Gen 4 some more time so they finish working out all the issues with it...

Quote Originally Posted by nsedet View Post
    I'll give the Gen 4 some more time so they finish working out all the issues with it...
    I have an early Gen 4 Glock 17 and can confirm that it has an inconsistent ejection pattern. I've heard it was the new recoil guide spring and/or the extractor, but they have been fixed in later production Gen 4's.

I have a 12 year old Glock 27 with a little over 5,000 rounds down the tube. Never a failure to feed or fire. And I need a Gen 4 why?

Also, didn't DHS just purchase X million rounds of .40 caliber? I don't see any independent caliber switch by any agent of the G.
    Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!
    Hunter S. Thompson

Looking through your bank records & garbage..
    Quote Originally Posted by dmclark View Post
    I have a 12 year old Glock 27 with a little over 5,000 rounds down the tube. Never a failure to feed or fire. And I need a Gen 4 why?

Also, didn't DHS just purchase X million rounds of .40 caliber? I don't see any independent caliber switch by any agent of the G.
    My tiny li'l .gov agency just switched to .40 primarily for the price point versus .357SIG. Enough of a difference that the cost of new Glocks and Sigs (we run both) in an agency with 200-odd gun carriers will be a "wash" within two years and pure savings beyond that. We're riding that DHS ammo contract, the one that the internet conspiracy theorists predict will have the FEMA concentration camps fully stocked within the year.

Price difference between .40 & 9mm? Probably not as great, and the 'BI has many multiples of the 1811 FTEs as my XYZ-OIG to arm-up if they choose to switch.. and Glock won't do it for free just for "The FBI selected US!" bragging rights. So, not the same dynamic, in my simplistic opinion.

However, never overlook the secret printing press for money that I fully believe the FBI has concealed in the basement of the JEH building...

We did DM, but our Sig contract is up and our National Firearms Unit just completed a survey on what "Field Agents" want in a new handgun. I believe we are definitely going shopping.
    "He pulls a knife, you pull a gun, he sends one of yours to the hospital, you send one of his to the morgue, that's the Chicago way.."

Quote Originally Posted by dmclark View Post
    The one thing I like about the Gen 4 is the new mag release.

I would add that 'going shopping' for what 'field agents want' might be a little premature and somewhat bizarre until Federal Contracting rules.

Unless I've missed something, the FBI spent Significant government budget and discovering the problems with the 115 gr. 9mm and then moved to the 147 gr. based a number of issues, penetration among them. I was at Quantico during the 10mm issuance and purchasing investigations. Let's leave it at horrorific. The field agents had no input on the outcome of that investigation and subsequent DOJ actions. It caused quite a few folks their grades and careers. But a heavier, ballisticly superior round was clearly desired to fulfill the ballistic findings. That is documented and in contracting files at DOJ.

The .40 was the answer. Superior ballistics, qualifications were in line with projections and they were off to the races. DEA piggy-backed on the FBI contract, as did several other agencies not desiring the testing and time required to go their own way.

So if someone could produce a link to the new ballistic studies showing the official results that new 9mm are superior to the .40... please do. Plus, what agency will have the significant budget dollars appropriated to invest in new firearms even IF there were to be a 10 year equalization of costs? Not in the current Administration I'm certain.

Then the first 9mm failure will cause Congressional oversight committees to demand to know who authorized the 'downgrading' of FLEO pistols?

I'm still in love with my .45 and 230 gr. JHP. Nice thing is I don't need to change anything!
    Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!
    Hunter S. Thompson

FBI looking at changing pistol calibers! [Archive] - M4Carbine.net Forums

Here's a link to another forum discussion where someone claiming to be an agent (sounds credible to me) says there is a movement toward switching to 9mm and I believe there is a reference to a 9mm ammo purchase. Just to clarify, I'm just a guy trying to make it to the academy, not stating an opinion one way or the other. Posing the question here because I am interested . It's funny the mention of conspiracy theories based on Fed purchase contracts. Maybe the Bureau has just bought some 9mm for certain applications and people are jumping to conclusions.

Quote Originally Posted by boredesq View Post
    FBI looking at changing pistol calibers! [Archive] - M4Carbine.net Forums

Here's a link to another forum discussion where someone claiming to be an agent (sounds credible to me) says there is a movement toward switching to 9mm and I believe there is a reference to a 9mm ammo purchase. Just to clarify, I'm just a guy trying to make it to the academy, not stating an opinion one way or the other. Posing the question here because I am interested . It's funny the mention of conspiracy theories based on Fed purchase contracts. Maybe the Bureau has just bought some 9mm for certain applications and people are jumping to conclusions.
    I am not an FBI agent, so this is mere conjecture on my part, but it is definitely possible that the FBI has 9mm weapons in its inventory for purposes other than standard sidearms. My agency's standard issue is .40 but there are other caliber agency-issued weapons in service.

On a side note: I just read that Texas DPS is going to begin issuing S&W M&P's to new troopers, chambered in...wait for it....9mm!

This is a switch from Sig 229's in .357 Sig. I don't know what the rationale/testing was, but I never thought I would hear "Texas DPS" and "9mm" in the same sentence!

Hmm, maybe there is something to the 9mm?
    A society that makes war against its police had better learn to make friends with criminals. - unknown

This is all conjecture...but I'd like to see the qual rates at DPS at 9mm vs. 357Sig plus ammo costs. Bean counters can make the financial costs seem worthwhile.

Never knew one have to return fire though.

And boredesq...that link has a true .05% credibility factor. Some guy is got some great scoop that the FBI is going to the 147 gr 9mm. FBI has lots of MP5's in inventory that shoot...what for it.....the 147 gr. subsonic 9mm round.

OK, we're done here.
    Last edited by dmclark; 02-04-2014 at 00:22.
    Hunter S. Thompson

put another way, when they are issuing 9mm's to new agents, then we had a change. Until that occurs, back to regular programming.

Alright guys. Thanks for sharing your opinions.