Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

NASA OIG Internship

There's a NASA OIG internship posting on USAJobs, and I was just wondering how realistic it is for interns to get transferred over to 1811 positions after graduation. It has the usual "Interns may be considered for conversion to a term or permanent appointment within 120 days of completion of degree requirements provided they [list of requirements]" thing in the posting. If an intern works their butt off and shows interest in working as an investigator for the agency, does s/he have a realistic chance at getting hired as an 1811 after graduation.

Also, anyone know if NASA OIG interns go through the whole TS clearance process? Doesn't specify in the posting.

Thanks!
    Last edited by davoos15; 02-08-2014 at 18:39. Reason: Grammar

Hi Dave,
    I just applied for two NASA paid internships through USAJOBS. I think you do cuz at least the two I applied for would be directly in contact with sensitive information. Not sure though.

Looking through your bank records & garbage..
    Quote Originally Posted by davoos15 View Post
    There's a NASA OIG internship posting on USAJobs, and I was just wondering how realistic it is for interns to get transferred over to 1811 positions after graduation. It has the usual "Interns may be considered for conversion to a term or permanent appointment within 120 days of completion of degree requirements provided they [list of requirements]" thing in the posting. If an intern works their butt off and shows interest in working as an investigator for the agency, does s/he have a realistic chance at getting hired as an 1811 after graduation.

Also, anyone know if NASA OIG interns go through the whole TS clearance process? Doesn't specify in the posting.

Thanks!
    The SCEP program-- or whatever they're calling the co-op program now-- is one of the best ways for an agency (and particularly a smaller shop) to grow its own talent. Approach the entire internship as a "working interview" and yes, the chances are pretty good. That's one of the principal reasons the agencies bother to use the program; theoretically, the co-op is already occupying an FTE that they'll fill on a permanent basic after graduation.

Co-ops are term employees and can be cut without the normal "due process" or without regard to RIF procedures when budget times are tough. Yes, I've seen the latter done, so conversion isn't a certainty, but there's no down side to taking the position if offered. You accrue regular-- not LE-- FERS retirement time, participate in TSP, accrue annual and sick leave, et al. Good stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by DennisNJ View Post
    The SCEP program-- or whatever they're calling the co-op program now-- is one of the best ways for an agency (and particularly a smaller shop) to grow its own talent. Approach the entire internship as a "working interview" and yes, the chances are pretty good. That's one of the principal reasons the agencies bother to use the program; theoretically, the co-op is already occupying an FTE that they'll fill on a permanent basic after graduation.

Co-ops are term employees and can be cut without the normal "due process" or without regard to RIF procedures when budget times are tough. Yes, I've seen the latter done, so conversion isn't a certainty, but there's no down side to taking the position if offered. You accrue regular-- not LE-- FERS retirement time, participate in TSP, accrue annual and sick leave, et al. Good stuff.
    Thanks for your reply! So if the title is "Student Trainee," then it's the equivalent to the SCSP/co-op programs?

I would actually be pretty interested in working for NASA OIG, so I'm gonna jump at this opportunity, especially if there's a chance at being converted to an 1811!

I wonder why they have two different locations for their internships? The ones I applied for were from USAJOBS if fit my skills on their SITE OIG the internships are way more scientific etc. Either way I hope to get a call.

Quote Originally Posted by JustJessLA View Post
    I wonder why they have two different locations for their internships? The ones I applied for were from USAJOBS if fit my skills on their SITE OIG the internships are way more scientific etc. Either way I hope to get a call.
    On USAJobs, some of them are for tech, but one of them is for investigations specifically.

Yeah I applied for both Investigations and Cyber Security, which did you apply for.

Quote Originally Posted by JustJessLA View Post
    Yeah I applied for both Investigations and Cyber Security, which did you apply for.
    I'm a former NASA-OIG agent. I have direct knowledge of one former intern who did become a general crimes 1811, within the past two years. Another former computer security intern became a full-time computer forensic examiner and is now an 1811 at another agency. I don't think it's an automatic thing (and I'm not sure if it's actually part of the SCEP program), but they were good fits for the agency so when spots opened up they were first in line.

Quote Originally Posted by colsanders View Post
    I'm a former NASA-OIG agent. I have direct knowledge of one former intern who did become a general crimes 1811, within the past two years. Another former computer security intern became a full-time computer forensic examiner and is now an 1811 at another agency. I don't think it's an automatic thing (and I'm not sure if it's actually part of the SCEP program), but they were good fits for the agency so when spots opened up they were first in line.
    Thanks for the reply! How was your experience as a NASA OIG 1811?

It was fantastic. Loved the agency and the mission. I was on the cyber side of the house.

Should I get a call for an interview or anything, any advice? And if I should be accepted as an intern, any advice for that? I know a lot is probably protected by NDA's, but I figured I'd ask.

Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by davoos15 View Post
    Should I get a call for an interview or anything, any advice? And if I should be accepted as an intern, any advice for that? I know a lot is probably protected by NDA's, but I figured I'd ask.
    Study the agency's Semiannual Reports and press releases, as they will give you a better understanding of types of cases and current priorities. This helps you avoid asking questions that could have been answered with a little research, and show a level of interest that many applicants don't take. Among the OIGs, the SARs in particular are a good window into the agency and parent department issues.

Quote Originally Posted by nsedet View Post
    Study the agency's Semiannual Reports and press releases, as they will give you a better understanding of types of cases and current priorities. This helps you avoid asking questions that could have been answered with a little research, and show a level of interest that many applicants don't take. Among the OIGs, the SARs in particular are a good window into the agency and parent department issues.
    Thanks for the advice. I'll do some research!

Not that it really matters at the intern level (or even the line level), but IG Paul Martin is a good man.

Has anyone heard yet about any of the positions? I applied for two, one closed a few days ago, and the Cyber security one closes today or tomm.. I know they have alot of positions available.