Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

1811 new hires/all agencies - Post your background/experience/etc

Wanted to start a potentially helpful thread for the applicants......

Anyone who is a (lets say 2011 forward) recent 1811 new-hire, at the academy or already graduated, at any agency, large to small, no particular format, just post what you feel is important, IE: your background, job experience, education, military experience, any "tips" to get noticed you used (tackled the recruiter in the parking lot) etc etc. Also, post the agency and timeline from "sent my application in" until "Day-1 at Academy"

Please do not post/reply unless you are at least at the academy as an 1811 trainee or already graduated. IE, "waiting on poly" please don't post.

Again, at the academy as an 1811 trainee or graduated/commissioned as an 1811 and holding a badge.

Thanks and good luck

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by satpak77 View Post
    Wanted to start a potentially helpful thread for the applicants......

Anyone who is a (lets say 2011 forward) recent 1811 new-hire, at the academy or already graduated, at any agency, large to small, no particular format, just post what you feel is important, IE: your background, job experience, education, military experience, any "tips" to get noticed you used (tackled the recruiter in the parking lot) etc etc. Also, post the agency and timeline from "sent my application in" until "Day-1 at Academy"

Please do not post/reply unless you are at least at the academy as an 1811 trainee or already graduated. IE, "waiting on poly" please don't post.

Again, at the academy as an 1811 trainee or graduated/commissioned as an 1811 and holding a badge.

Thanks and good luck
    Agency: HSI (currently a GS-12)
    Education: BS in CJ
    Work Experience: 7 years BP time
    Skills: 2nd and 3rd language skills
    Military experience: Yes, US Army enlisted
    Timeline: 3 years from obtaining PIN to EOD.
    Tips to be noticed: Not really sure other than a tenacious pursuit of any and all 1811 gigs. It's 0230 maybe I'll add some more later.
    Last edited by DallasTX; 03-09-2014 at 05:27.
    USBP now ICE 1811

Agency: US Postal Inspection Service
    Position: Postal Inspector (ISLE-11)
    Education: Master's in Accountancy with a 4.0 GPA and a 3.84 GPA in my undergrad
    Work experience: 5ish years in IT/Computing and event production. Internship with NCIS' Economic Crimes Unit during my graduate studies.
    Skills: Accounting, computing to include A+, N+, Sec+ and CCNA
    No military experience.
    Timeline: Almost exactly 1.5 years from initial application to EOD
    Tips: Basically, keep trying. You never know when you'll just end up in the right spot. I'm probably one of if not the fastest hires for an 1811 gig, and to this day, I still can't tell you how I got it other than I was just in the right place at the right time (with some ample help from the big man upstairs).

Agency: Internal Revenue Service- Criminal Investigation (IRS-CI)
    Position: Special Agent (Currently GS-11)
    Education: MBA in Financial Fraud Examination with a 3.975 GPA
    Work experience: 8 years or so in financial services. Practicing independent auditor (2 Years)
    Skills: Accounting, Certified Fraud Examiner (CFE)
    No military experience.
    Timeline: Application date (April 2011) EOD-(July 2012)
    Tips: Research agencies that interest you and apply. Don't be married to one particular agency and keep trying. As for Zipties claim of being the quickest, I'm not sure about that buddy! LOL. But i do agree, there is a bit of luck involved. More importantly be ready and prepared when the opportunity arise.

Here is my info... education, experience, etc, is posted AT THE TIME OF APPLICATION (not my current state) because that's how the DEA will place you... at the time you apply... keep that in mind.

Agency: DEA
    Position: Special Agent (1811)
    Education: Bachelors degree (with "superior academic acheivement")
    Work experience: 1.5 years of police as a patrol officer for a city police department
    Skills: none of note; was a division 1 collegiate athlete
    Military: none
    Timeline: June 2012 applied - May 2014 academy starts - September 2014 graduated academy
    Tips: Be aware that the 'needs of the agency' will overrule anything... if you don't want to move or be gone from home frequently or work late, etc, then don't waste a spot in the academy for someone who is willing to. Research the agency... and believe in their mission.

Here is a more in depth timeline:

June (2012) - applied for job
    October (2012) - conditional offer
    February (2013) - written testing/interview/written psych test over 2 day span
    March (2013) - psychological (in person interview)
    April (2013) - medical
    May (2013) - PT test AND email from HR to update my SF86 because background would start soon
    August (2013) - polygraph
    September (2013) - packet approved by New Orleans FO SAC and sent to the hiring panel for final determination
    November (2013) - approved for hire by hiring panel
    February (2014) - background update (sf86c, etc)
    March (2014) - got "the call" for the May academy
    May (2014) - arrived at Quantico...

Agency: BIA
    Position: 1811
    Education: AAS in Electronic Engineering, Bachelors in Criminal Justice gpa 3.85, Some Graduate level work
    Work experience: 13 years at local Police Department
    Skills: At Local PD - Investigations, SWAT, Accident Recon
    Timeline:
    Jan 2012 Applied
    March 2012 Received Other Selection Made letter
    June 2012 Received Conditional Offer (guess other selection didn't work out)
    June 2012 Medical
    July 2012 Background
    Sept 2012 Start Date
    Nov 2012 CITP
    Tips:Not Sure since BIA in not competitive status and Indian Preference applies, it narrows the playing field a lot.

Education: M.S. in Psychology - Psychology of terrorism and security, 4.0 GPA
    Work experience: 6+ years in sales and advising
    Skills: 2+ Icelandic fluency on FBI's language test.
    Timeline: Applied June 2012, report to academy July 2014, complete academy November 2014.
    Tips: Don't put all your eggs in one basket.

Satpak77 Comment: If you have ALL STEPS COMPLETED (background, poly, PT test, etc etc) and have a CONFIRMED ACADEMY START-DATE, (or as stated before, AT the academy, or GRADUATED/Carrying an 1811 badge) then please post to this thread.

Do NOT post if you do not meet the above criteria.

What we are trying to accomplish is answer the age-old question "Who [what kind of candidate/education/work experience] is successfully getting hired"

Thanks

Education: BS in Business Administration (3.06 GPA) and at time of application I was three classes shy of my MBA (4.0 GPA)
    Law Enforcement Experience: none
    Military: 10+ years as an officer in the Marine Corps. MOS: F-18 Pilot. Deployments: 5 (Two to the western Pacific flying hornets and three combat tours in Afghanistan on the ground.) In Afghanistan I worked as both a JTAC / Forward Air Controller with a Marine infantry battalion, and as an advisor with Afghan Forces.
    Security Clearance: Current TS/SCI with DOD
    Skills: Commercial rated pilot with IFR rating and 1000+ hours total flight time.
    Languages: none
    Timeline:
    Applied - June 2012
    Conditional offer letter- Nov 2012
    Phone call from HR- 3 July 2014
    Academy check in date of 12 July 2014

Tips-
    -Once you've received you conditional offer, don't let a month go by with out contacting your recruiter to check on your status. Mistakes do get made and you can fall through the cracks if you don't look out for yourself. At the same time, don't be the annoying guy that that calls every few days to pester them.
    -You don't need a fifty on the PTT to go to the academy. Train hard enough to pass easily, but not so hard that you get hurt.
    -When they tell you there's no chance that you will be in the next academy class, be ready for it anyway.

Agency: USSS
    Education: BA in Emergency and Disaster Management (3.53 GPA). One year of graduate school complete (3.93 GPA).
    Law Enforcement Experience: none
    Military: 11 years active duty / 2+ years in reserves in the Navy; currently an E-8 and Master EOD tech; 5 deployments between Iraq and Afghanistan.
    Security Clearance: Current TS/SCI with DOD
    Skills: EOD, military diver, military freefall, considerable work with USSS while on active duty
    Languages: none
    Timeline:
    Applied - June 2013
    Conditional offer letter- Jan 2014
    Final Offer – 08 Aug 2014
    Class date – 23 Sep 2014
    Observations from process:
    -Apply to every agency which you are qualified for and believe you will be an asset to. There are so many variables (initial duty location offered, hiring freezes, lost paperwork, polys, etc.) in these long hiring processes that you need to have your bases covered.

Agency: ATF
    Education: BS, MS
    Work Experience: 5 years DHS/OLE, 1 1/2 ATF
    Military experience: US Army, combat arms
    Timeline: 14 Months
    Tips to be noticed: Apply to every 1811 gig your qualified for and if feasible always take the first job offer. Never wait it out if you don't have too. As the old saying goes, a bird in hand is better than two in the bush.

deleted

Agency: Treasury IG for Tax Administration (TIGTA)
    Education: Bachelors degree (with "superior academic achievement")
    Work experience: Less than one year as a public accountant, five years as an IRS Revenue Agent
    Skills: Accounting and CPA certification
    Timeline: March 2014 - applied, October 2014 - hired, December 2014 - Academy starts, February 2015 - scheduled graduation
    Tips: Definitely research the agency and definitive answers on why you want to be an 1811 with that specific agency, one of the worst things you could probably say is I want an 1811 and do not care what agency it is with. Other than that just make sure you're prepared for the interview and hope that you have a little luck on your side.

Here is a more in depth timeline:
    March 2014 - applied for job
    May 2014 - interviewed
    June 2014 - conditional offer
    June 2014 - medical test, drug test, tax audit, etc.
    July 2014 - OPM begun SSBI
    September 2014 - OPM finished SSBI
    October 2014 - got 'the call' and accepted final offer
    November 2014 - start date
    December 2014 - FLETC

Position: Special Agent/Criminal Investigator (1811)
    Education: B.A. in Criminal Justice (3.58 GPA), Minor in Business
    Work Experience: Intern with U.S. Marshals Service for 4 months, TSA as both a screener and Lead Officer for 3.5 years, Federal Air Marshal for 4 years.
    Security Clearance: Current Top Secret
    Skills: I'm a decent shot haha none other of note though.
    Military: None
    Timeline:

Applied: June or July 2012 (cant quite remember)

Online Assessments: 8/10/2012

Conditional Offer of Employment (COE): 8/29/2013

Written Exams/Writing Sample: 10/24/2013

Panel Interview: 2/12/2014

Medical Exam: 3/5-3/7/2014

Notice Medical Cleared: 4/2/2014

PTT: 5/9/2014

Poly: 6/6/2014

e-QIP: 7/22/2014

Written Psych: 10/23/2014

Oral Psych: 11/20/2014

Approved by hiring panel: 1/29/2015

PTT recert: 2/20/2015

Final offer: 2/26/2015 Academy in April

Note that I did not write a "background" date due to DEA taking my current govt clearance. That could potentially slow people up more. Also there is no "you passed" email for most phases. The only thing that gave me a "you passed" email was the medical exam. The rest of the steps you know you passed once your recruiter schedules you for the next step. Also I have had others tell me they did their psych BEFORE their poly. Please keep in mind that each applicant will most likely do different steps in a similar yet different order.

Final note: DO NOT hesitate to contact your recruiter once you are in the process and have not heard anything for a few months on end. For instance there were times (such as between my e-QIP and my written psych) where I didnt hear a thing for over 3 months. Just kindly write a email or call your recruiter and ask him/her if you missed a email and that you are available to be scheduled for the next phase as his/her earliest availability. DO NOT do this on a weekly or even monthly basis. They will get tired of it quickly. But here and there it does not hurt to "check in" with them. I know for a fact it helped me get scheduled more quickly for at least 2 steps.

Advice: Those (like me) who dont have as much experience as others you are competing against, I would say to always be open to learning and to build your resume right out of college/military/high school. Is TSA the best job ever? No not at all. But its a Federal Job and if you keep your nose clean there it looks good on a resume.....especially if you are looking to go to a 1801 job like FAMS or BP and then eventually 1811 after.

**Please note TSA screener and a Degree alone will most likely NOT get you a 1811 job but it is possible to move from that to a 1801 job as I did.**

I took the TSA job cause they hired me quick out of college. Honestly though (if you dont mind waiting) you probably can skip that step and just apply for a 1801 job and wait to be hired if you already have a degree and decent work experience/military. I dont think TSA got me in to FAMS, but I think that added in with my degree did.

You will not get anywhere if you listen to people who say "you need Law Enforcement experience to be a BP agent/FAM". No one is born with Law Enforcement experience. You have to start somewhere. That experience may help you indeed but it is not necessary to get a 1801 job. Heck there are some 1811s who come on with no true Law Enforcement experience.

Also dont listen to all the people who say "BP isnt considered investigative" or "FAMS dont arrest anyone its not REAL law enforcement you will never get a 1811 slot with just that and a degree on your resume in these competitive times." I am here to tell those people they are wrong. I am a little over 30 and did just those things and here I am going to a 1811 academy. The biggest thing in most of these 1811 processes is getting past the initial "weeding out" phase of resumes to get a conditional offer. I believe a 1801 job will help you do that alot if you articulate your experience and skills correctly. Once you get a conditional offer be FLEXIBLE with the recruiters. You may have to call in sick a day or two to get to do your panel interview/poly/etc. If you arent willing to do that, you risk your resume getting thrown back in the pile or at minimum waiting a few more months. Be flexible and focus on the next step in front of you, not the finish line. Also if you are not willing to move ANYWHERE in the country (that includes the border and high cost of living cities) then DONT APPLY. You are wasting a spot for someone who is.

Another big thing BE IN SHAPE FOR THE AGENCIES YOU APPLY FOR. Know their PT requirements and if you want the job, start working to hit those requirements and surpass them by alot the second you apply. These agencies lose alot of applicants to the PT exam. No excuse for it. It is the one thing you control. Make a good impression. And when you pass the PT test, KEEP WORKING OUT. Don't show up to FLETC or Quantico out of shape. You will be noticed and targeted by the instructors and it will make your life more stressful than you want. PT is necessary for these jobs. If you dont want to make it part of your lifestyle, DONT APPLY.

Is my path a fool proof path to take? Probably not. I could very well have NEVER gotten a 1811 gig with the path I took. There is a little luck involved as well. If you go the 1801 path DONT TAKE that job as a stepping stone either. I did not. You have to be prepared to be stuck there for a long time and be happy with it. And if you arent you have to be prepared to quit or stop bitching.

All I'm saying is there is no "set path" to being a 1811 as I demonstrate. I know a friend of mine who was a FAM with a masters and had a FLETC internship before that. He now is a 1811 at a big alphabet soup agency. I will say (and this is just my opinion which may be very wrong) that to me it seems if you have a 1801 postion it helps to get you passed the initial "weeding out" phase of resumes. I was referred for 1 other 1811 job before taking the DEA one. Local cops are TOUGH jobs, and they do way more Law enforcement work then I have ever done. To me, it seems like alot of them get passed over though for 1801 guys/military. Again this could be completely wrong but I just think if you are in the Fed system already, all your stuff is easier to transfer over and you have a better shot in these competitive times. That said, plenty of cops get hired as 1811s and probably are more knowledgeable then I will ever be. Just dont know if its the best path for getting in.

My point is work hard and build a resume that is somewhat competitive. Meaning you dont have to check off EVERY box. I just checked off law enforcement (whether people think FAMS is or isnt the agencies hiring clearly think it is) and a degree. Others check off degree, Advanced degree and military. I would say to at least have SOME work experience mixed in with your degrees (if you go the degree route). Also there is no "magic degree" for these 1811 jobs. Most of them just want to see a 4 year degree in something. The FBI is the only 1811 job off the top of my head I can think of that wants a specific skill in your degree. So take that for what its worth.

Finally, put in for MULTIPLE 1811 jobs. Most of these processes take at minimum 2-3 years. It is a waste of time to put in for a "dream agency" get rejected, and have to start all over again because you have no other applications active elsewhere. Like I said earlier many of these processes have a little luck involved especially when it comes to the subjective nature of interviews and polygraphs. You may get rejected a few times. Best to have another app in a pipeline. At the same time dont put in for EVERY 1811 slot. Research the agencies and their missions. There may be some you dont enjoy or would not want to work for. Use these forums or others like officer.com. PM people who have done the job before. Get a idea if you could handle it. I narrowed my 1811 jobs down to 4 agencies. I got rejected by 2 (one due to not having the skill set they wanted, and one cause I wasn't a vet), and withdrew from the 3rd when DEA offered me the job.

My point is dont get discouraged. I am in my early 30s. Most of these 1811 jobs hire around that age group. It will be rare to be 26 and get this kind of job. Build your resume. I hope this helps someone and I didnt talk to much haha.

Sorry to be that guy but relating to my above post......

I may have been a little too general when it came to 1801 gigs. Not all of the jobs I mentioned as 1801s are classified as 1801s. I just grouped them all together because my job (Air Marshal) is a 1801.

This poster put it best:

If you are going to go Fed before 1811, Look for any of the 6c positions. These are primary Law Enforcement jobs that cover the LE retirement. Most all 1811, 1810 several 0083 and some 1801 classifications will do this. If ya land one of these jobs.. the clock is stopped for your age. AND you will being paying into the LE retirement system.

So BP, CBP, Uniformed Division etc, some may be 0083, 1810 etc, but my point was they are all what I would call "entry level" Fed leo gigs that will stop your clock (you need to get a 1811 job before age of 37 other wise.). This is of course another advantage of those jobs (stopping your age clock).