Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

Advice for a potential newbie please!!!!!

Hi! I am in the middle of the hiring process for a 911 dispatcher job in South Florida. I passed my criticall test, typing test, and interview. Now on to the background check (which is extremely personal, wow!). I find myself being really torn about this decision. On one hand, I am excited for this position, I feel it would be rewarding, the pay & benefits are great, and could really serve as my next career move. Which is why I applied. BUT now that I am getting closer to getting hired, I am also worried. I know they require us (especially new people with no seniority) to work holidays, sometimes overnight, etc. I am worried this will take a toll on my family/personal life. My husband and I are planning to try to get pregnant soon and I dont know if this job will fit with my plans to start a family, etc.
    Also, I hear stress levels can effect you greatly as well.
    If anyone has any advice for me, what was it like to be a newbie? Was your personal life effected by taking this job? Do you adapt to it eventually? ANY advice would be GREATLY appreciated.
    Thank you in advance!

Quote Originally Posted by NALA10 View Post
    Hi! I am in the middle of the hiring process for a 911 dispatcher job in South Florida. I passed my criticall test, typing test, and interview. Now on to the background check (which is extremely personal, wow!). I find myself being really torn about this decision. On one hand, I am excited for this position, I feel it would be rewarding, the pay & benefits are great, and could really serve as my next career move. Which is why I applied. BUT now that I am getting closer to getting hired, I am also worried. I know they require us (especially new people with no seniority) to work holidays, sometimes overnight, etc. I am worried this will take a toll on my family/personal life. My husband and I are planning to try to get pregnant soon and I dont know if this job will fit with my plans to start a family, etc.
    Also, I hear stress levels can effect you greatly as well.
    If anyone has any advice for me, what was it like to be a newbie? Was your personal life effected by taking this job? Do you adapt to it eventually? ANY advice would be GREATLY appreciated.
    Thank you in advance!
    What shift are you working? If you're on seconds your personal life will go to shit. Working holidays blows but you get use to it and once you get seniority you'll be able to take them off. How many people are you working with? We have 8 dispatchers here and I'm 2nd from the bottom. I work most holidays unless I'm actually scheduled off as a regular day. I was off Thanksgiving last year and I'll be off Christmas next year. It's all in the rotation. I was forced to work 3rds about 6 times last year. We only run 1 at night so hopefully your officers will cover you to use the bathroom. Don't know about the baby thing since I'm a male but my fellow female employees have no issues getting pregant and dispatching. Hope this helps.

Everyone is different. What is extremely stressful for me others shrug off with no issue and vice versa. In reality, if you were really this concerned you should have given more thought to these issues much earlier in your hiring process. But I do have a few suggestions:
    1) If possible, talk to a few of the dispatchers. When I was in the hiring process we were allowed to do a few "sit-alongs" with the dispatcher(s) on duty. You shadowed them for a shift and were able to listen to the calls and see how the dispatch center ran. During the downtime you were also able to pick their brain a little about the job. If this is an option, I HIGHLY recommend it.
    2) RELAX. I truly believe you are over thinking this. Now that the reality of getting hired is coming closer, doubts are setting in. You will be fine. And after a few months, if it isn't for you, you'll know for sure and you can start the process for moving on.
    3) Welcome to the Forum. Take some time and read a lot of back posts. There is a ton of information here. Search is your friend.
    "There is no second place winner"-- Bill Jordan