Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

Asking for reenlistment advice. Different MOS.

Hey ladies and gents,

I have been trolling the board and after a while of trying to get registered, I finally did and am glad to be a part of this fine forum.

I have been thinking about going back into the military for sometime. I gave most of the 1811 series Federal jobs a whirl but came to the conclusion my age is a detractor. I am 38. While still in some application processes I have been take some time to also looking around the military for MOS's that interest me.

Again, 38 years old, 8 years in the USAR (As of 2008 when I got out), OIF1&3. 10 years on the Sheriffs Dept on the civilian side. Bachelor's Degree, finished with a high enough score to do all MOS's. I last held E-5 as a Civil Affairs Team Leader NCO.

The 3 that inte rest me the most are 31D-CID, 35M--Human Intelligence Collector and 35L--Counter Intelligence Agent. Besides the obvious differences I wondered if there is any information from folks on here that I could get? I have been in contact with a CID Detachment to get a good feel on what their outfit is like and the steps I would need to take to change MOS's yet again for that said Detachment.

Any information I am hopefully to receive is really appreciated, thank you for your time...

Be safe.

Sorry this is a bit late.

I don't have much to say about the other two, but CID isn't something you enlist into in the Regular Army. You have to be in, then apply. It's hard to do because your current commander has to be willing to let you go. Used to be you had to go a 6 month internship with the local detachment, which was even harder because your commander didn't get a replacement for you during those 6 months. I've heard they dropped that, but no first hand info.

In the guard/ reserve you can sometimes enlist directly if you're an investigator in the civilian world or have another skill they want but it's more of a "who you know" kind of thing.

Right now it is REALLY hard for prior service to get back in. Doubtful they'll let you change your MOS to anything good. Cook, mechanic, "othercrapjob" or your current MOS are probably your only choices.

Quote Originally Posted by tanksoldier View Post
    but CID isn't something you enlist into in the Regular Army..
    Errr.... No offense but you need to keep up with the times.

CID is now allowing folks to enlist straight into slots in a new pilot program that started last week....

Army Criminal Investigations Special Agent (31D) | goarmy.com

About 1/2 down the page has the requirements....

Sorry this is a bit late.

I don't have much to say about the other two, but CID isn't something you enlist into in the Regular Army. You have to be in, then apply. It's hard to do because your current commander has to be willing to let you go. Used to be you had to go a 6 month internship with the local detachment, which was even harder because your commander didn't get a replacement for you during those 6 months. I've heard they dropped that, but no first hand info.

In the guard/ reserve you can sometimes enlist directly if you're an investigator in the civilian world or have another skill they want but it's more of a "who you know" kind of thing.

Right now it is REALLY hard for prior service to get back in. Doubtful they'll let you change your MOS to anything good. Cook, mechanic, "othercrapjob" or your current MOS are probably your only choices.
    Sorry I should have been more clear. I wouldn't be going into AD, I would be going into the Reserves. I called the CID-Detachment to inquire and they said they have open slots to re-enlist and that I was qualified to start the process. It didn't seem like a "who you know" at all as I don't know anybody in that Detachment.

I am looking for information on what it is they do drill to drill, etc. Same with CI/HI....

Quote Originally Posted by finyank13 View Post

I am looking for information on what it is they do drill to drill, etc. Same with CI/HI....
    My advice....call the unit back and see if they will allow you to come visit during drill weekend.....and talk to everyone that you can....and ask not only about drill info....but chat with them about training, deployments, and call-ups.....

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcat06 View Post
    CID is now allowing folks to enlist straight into slots in a new pilot program that started last week....
    Wow. That's an awesome deal. I would've gone for that in a heartbeat.

Wow. That's an awesome deal. I would've gone for that in a heartbeat.
    Pilot Recruiting Program for New Recruits

The 31D Criminal Investigations Special Agent Pilot Program is open to applicants interested in the Criminal Investigative Division (CID) positions for Active Duty. Successful applicants must complete 31B Military Police One Station Unit Training (OSUT) and the CID Special Agent Course (CIDSAC). Due to the nature of work required of CID Special Agents, strict qualifications must be met prior to enlistment:

Requirements:

•U.S. Citizenship
    •21 years of age or older
    •Bachelor's degree or higher in one of the following: criminal justice, forensic science, computer science or pre-law
    •3.0 GPA or higher
    •Normal color vision (no exception to policy authorized)
    •Valid driver's license and a favorable driving record
    •Favorable credit history
    •No felony or court martial convictions
    •Eligibility for Top Secret clearance
    •Must have suitable character, integrity, reputation, sobriety, discretion, and stability as established by a Single Scope Background Investigation (SSBI)
    •No history of mental or emotional disorders

If you meet the requirements and are interested in the program, contact your local recruiter.

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcat06 View Post
    If you meet the requirements and are interested in the program, contact your local recruiter.
    Unfortunately I'm medically retired now... but if I was just enlisting I'd go for it.