Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

antidepressants and hiring

Hey everyone,

I am currently in the hiring process to be a probation/parole agent. At the begining of the year, I started on Wellbutrin XL because I had become upset about a move away from my 2 year old son. I have just stopped those meds because I don't need them. I have to take a psych eval which is not an issue but I am just scared that because of the wellbutrin that they will dq me. I am fine and happy. I just needed to get use to being away from my son so much. I have never seeked psychological help, my primary care doctor prescribed it to me. I could probably not tell them that I took them, but because I just recently stopped, it may still show up in my drug test. So I would rather just tell them.

Do you think this would be an issue?

I spent 4 years active duty in the Army as military police. I have a bachelor's degree in criminal justice, so I have the qualifications and my background investigation came out great.

Thanks in advance.

No one can intelligently guess what your evaluation will bring out. You describe it as a "psych eval" which to me means an interview with either a psychologist or psychiatrist. Even though they are working for the dept. they are still medical providers and I would recommend being honest with them, just like evey other part of the hiring process. It is easier to explain a disclosure than explain why you chose to "hide" something. I think you will be fine as far as being employment eligible. I'm more concerned about you stopping the meds "because you don't need them." Please consult with your primary care provider on this. Stopping these type meds without a stepping down process can have consequences in some folks. Talk to your doc.
    You also alluded to the drug test. Urinalysis is not omnicient. It doesn't test for all things at all times. . Non-tricyclic antidepressants can be tested for in urinalysis but it usually has to be specifically requested.

Like all aspects of the hiring process Be honest. It always works out better.
    "There is no second place winner"-- Bill Jordan