Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

caliber debate..Over?

OK, I didn't see this anywhere else on the board and since its dealing with the FBI I thought I would throw it up here. But recently there have been web post circulating about the FBI switching to 9mm, see one here:

FBI 9MM Justification, FBI Training Division - Soldier Systems Daily

So is this official? are they going to switch away from glock? Just curious and would love to get the feedback from any of the FLE's on the board.

Quote Originally Posted by falcaner View Post
    OK, I didn't see this anywhere else on the board and since its dealing with the FBI I thought I would throw it up here. But recently there have been web post circulating about the FBI switching to 9mm, see one here:

FBI 9MM Justification, FBI Training Division - Soldier Systems Daily

So is this official? are they going to switch away from glock? Just curious and would love to get the feedback from any of the FLE's on the board.
    Not sure they would have to go away from the glock. Glock 17 or 19 is 9mm. My agency follows the FBI when it comes to firearms and we are talking about offering 9mm glock as a choice. Research shows that caliber size is not a indicator of helping LEOs survive but shot accuracy and getting off multiple rounds.

doubt the article is even true or written by FBI. And why would they "switch away from Glock". Glock makes plenty of 9mm's, assuming the article is even authentic.

Other law enforcement organizations seem to be making the move back to 9mm Luger taking advantage of the new technologies which are being applied to 9mm Luger projectiles. These organizations are providing their armed personnel the best chance of surviving a deadly force encounter since they can expect faster and more accurate shot strings, higher magazine capacities (similar sized weapons) and all of the terminal performance which can be expected from any law enforcement caliber projectile.
    The above is horrible writing. I can assure you that no "official study" released by FBI (or my own place) would be released sounding like the above. It would be reviewed by multiple supervisors and likely Chief Counsel, and the above writing would never see the light of day.