Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

High school student

Name-Stanley
    Age-17
    Education-Senior
    Height - 5,11 6 feet with shoes
    Weight- 187
    Workout - Cardio/ And Weights sometimes
    Since, i was a kid i had dreams in stopping bad guys and helping my country and my goal is to join a Federal Law Enforcement Agencies. I looked into IRS.AFT.US MARSHALL,Homeland security,NCIS, Secret Service.
    I'm having trouble choosing what to study and gaining skills to build up my resume because i want to join any of the Federal Law Enforcement Agencies.
    While i was doing research i found this website and registered, hoping that anyone can give me background information.
    I'm not the brightest student, but not the worst. I wanted to go to a 2 year school and transfer to a university or start in a private college. I've heard criminal justice degree is pretty useless to join a Federal Law Enforcement Agencies these days. Now i'm stuck and confuse on what to study or the path way to choose to get my education. Do i really need to learn a new language to make my application standout against other applicants or what skills do i need. Can anyone with experience answer my questions? I want to start planning now the sooner the better.

Welcome Stanley,
    1) Read through the Rules of the Forum. You have asked a very typical and impossible to answer "crystal ball" question. There are simply too many variables.
    2) Search is your friend. Put in virtually any LE related term into the search box and you will find dozens of posts on that topic. Read ALL of them. The info is most likely there. If you still need help, feel free to start a new thread with your question.
    3) Let me give you some general advice. You mentioned college. STUDY WHAT INTERESTS YOU! It is practically guaranteed that your grades will be better. There is no secret formula. If you love CJ, study that. Just understand that it isn't a magic button to employment. Likewise, many folks will suggest Accounting. Great training and experience, but if you hate it, you will not do well in school or a job. Finally, there is far more to LE than just the feds. There is great work being done at all depts., be they local, county, state, railroad, whatever. They all will give you valuable experience and help you with whatever your ultimate goal will be. Finally, don't overlook Corrections. There is often more turn over and a little bit easier requirements to get started. This will also be great experience and allow you to start networking with other LE professionals.
    Good Luck and let us know how it turns out.
    "There is no second place winner"-- Bill Jordan

Hello, JimSpoor thank you for the information.
    Yes, i do hate accountant it looks very boring, but i took criminal justice classes while in high school i did really well in them and find it entertaining.
    I will do more research on Correction Worker. My goal is to join the "NYSP".I do know i can't just apply to one department, Since employment is hard in this time of day. Is there some where i can look to do research on departments that's easier to join, So i'm able to get experience. When i do apply to other Dep i have more than a degree.
    Question
    Do all agencies have the same writing exam? If not how do i study for them?
    I'm trying to get more in shape, but i need to know about the writing test they usually have.

I was wondering some particular. I've tried using the search button on it.
    I want to major in Criminal Justice because i feel like i will do great academically on it.
    From reviewing past post it looks like Criminal Justice degree is useless.
    Any advice on other majors i can pick because at the moment i did a college application (Private College Berkeley Ny) For -Criminal Justice and Minor Information Of Technology
    Or go to a 2 year and transfer to a 4.

Also what branch to pick in the Military like Army/Navy/Air Force. When i do join the military what i do? I know about the asvab test, but that's all.
    I wanted to do College-Military-So far
    From reading through the forum experience count more than more degrees.

Let me hit a couple highlights from your last couple posts.
    Military: DO NOT do it jsut to "punch your ticket" or to get Vet's status! The Military is a great opportunity for some but it can be a miserable experience for those that join for the wrong reason. There are lots of paths available. If you have a passion for military service, then I salute you. Go for it. Otherwise, think hard.

Written exams: Every test is different, but they are all similar as well. Almost every civil service exam has had numerous books printed with tips, advice, and practice exams. Get off the computer and take a trip to your local library or book store.

Hiring Standards: Now you can get back on the computer. Most agencies have an online presence today. And many larger ones list their hiring standards on the recruuitment page. If not, there is usually a way to contact them for more info. Also as you network more, you will get a feel for which departments/agencies are more competitive than others.

P.S. There is at least one wonderful guide printed to most all Federal LE jobs available condensed into one publication. Most large bookstores and many libraries will have it. Exact title escapes me right now.
    "There is no second place winner"-- Bill Jordan

P.S. There is at least one wonderful guide printed to most all Federal LE jobs available condensed into one publication. Most large bookstores and many libraries will have it. Exact title escapes me right now.
    It escapes me too, but somehow Bill the Cat comes to mind.
    Last edited by ATF SAC; 11-14-2014 at 14:48.
    ret.