Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

San Francisco vs Seattle Police Departments

Hi,

Any perspective about either or both of the SF and Seattle PDs? I am from NYC and looking for a possible West Coast change. I previously applied to SFPD, but never got called after I passed the written and physical a few years ago.

I wonder if Seattle may be an easier gig to land. They pay less than SFPD, but I imagine it's a much cheaper city to live in.

Expenses and pay aside, anyone have viewpoints about the day to day for each department?

Thanks.

Seattle itself is not cheap, but the area is definitely more affordable than SF and slightly better commute wise, although that's relative. No state income tax, one of many ways WA offers a better cost of living than CA. Seattle PD was a great department several years ago, but my understanding is they have taken something of a beating in terms of city council support and other oversight challenges that have hurt morale in recent years. Biggest department by far in the Puget Sound area, and they offer a lot of specialized units and opportunities. That said, WA is an easy state for laterals and many officers jump to higher paying suburban departments after a few years.

Thanks, Nsedet. I notice that SFPD starting salary went down from 85/88K when I first signed up years ago to 80K. I assume that was a function of the poor economy?

Do you or anyone else know how the cities themselves feel about a the police? I realize this is a rather broad, open ended question, but someone once posted here that SFPD sometimes has a hard time with the very liberal population they police.

It's hard to generalize across an entire community, of course, but neither San Franciso nor Seattle is exactly known for being pro-law enforcement. That tends to translate to city councils, mayors, etc., that favor more restrictions and greater oversight of police. Last I heard, Seattle was under a US Department of Justice appointed monitor as part of a settlement based on the departments past use of force. Regardless of whether that oversight was warranted or not, that type of environment usually has a negative impact on morale in any department.

I would not get too hung up on community support, or lack thereof, because any community will have a wide range of views, and perspectives on the police tend to ebb and flow over time anyway. I would focus more on where you want to live and spend the next 20 years.

It's hard to generalize across an entire community, of course, but neither San Franciso nor Seattle is exactly known for being pro-law enforcement.
    Understatement of the day.

So, I am from the East Coast and am reluctant to fly out West for both exams. I applied for the SFPD a few years ago, did well on the phyiscal. written, and oral portions. However, I was never called after submitting my background package. I understand these positions are competitive.

Does anyone think I may have a better chance with Seattle then with SFPD?

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by chasmain View Post
    Does anyone think I may have a better chance with Seattle then with SFPD?
    That's very much a crystal ball question with no right answer. Too many variables for anyone to offer an answer that is little more than a guess. I suggest worrying less about which department is more likely to hire you, and focus on which one is the better fit for you as an applicant, both department and location.

Got ya...thanks.