Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

40 plus to old for LE?

Hi All,

I just turned 40 this year and am still considering an LE career. I applied to SFPD a few years ago, passed both the written, oral, and physical with no problem, but never got called.

I think I am still in pretty decent shape as I practice martial arts and run competitive races.

However, would it be advisable for someone my age to attempt to enter any police academy training? Would I be a poor fit, assuming most of the other trainees would be in their early 20s?

Thanks.

I have a friend who retired from DEA in his 50's and took a job as a high ranking member of a Sheriff's Office. Only kicker was that he was not POST certified which is a requirement so off he went to the academy. Did he love it? Probably not. Did he get through it just fine, yup. Gonna need a thick skin, and if you're going to do it you probably need to do it sooner rather than later.
    ret.

And prepare to be nominated/elected/confirmed as your police academy class president. Your age classifies that potential to near inevitability. Best of luck and enjoy!
    Stay safe!

FedAgent

Of course you can! I graduated DEA Basic Agent at 40. (It hurt though)
    Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!
    Hunter S. Thompson

Ha ha...thanks all for the comments.

I wonder if I can do 20 years to collect a pension. I am was looking at Seattle an SFPDs. Assuming, I made it through the screening process, I would be about 62/63 when I retired. Can cops realistically serve that long?

I have seen several cops working into their early 70's, however few were working the street. The biggest factors are your ability to stay in reasonable shape, and your agency's policy regarding a mandatory retirement age. Feds in covered LE positions have to retire at 57, for example.

Here's a cop who I wouldn't want to spar with:

Don't Mess With Leo Thalassites, U.S.' Oldest Cop | USA.GreekReporter.com

Obviously, Lt. Thalassites is the exception, but it can be done.
    A society that makes war against its police had better learn to make friends with criminals. - unknown

Thanks for that article. Very inspiring.

I am also aware of a trooper in a Midwestern state who is still working the road in his late 60's. His patrol area is pretty remote, and not too busy.

I have been told that his longevity isn't necessarily because of his love for the job. Supposedly, his divorce settlement specified that once he retires, his ex-wife gets half of his pension, so he would rather keep working than her get her half!
    A society that makes war against its police had better learn to make friends with criminals. - unknown

Ha ha...that is hilarious. Thanks.

Sorry, late to the party.

I attended and graduated from the academy at 43, after having retired from the Army, and I've been told they occasionally have cadets in their 50s... usually firefighters who are becoming arson investigators.

I think the biggest factor is fitness and health (physical and mental). I rather go through a door on a search warrant with one of the older members of my group (he keeps himself fit and healthy) then some younger guys who have let themselves go.