Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

Thread: Museum Security

Museum Security

I was at the George W. Bush presidential library recently and noticed that there were armed guards throughout the musuem. I did not take a close look at their patches or insignia. Are these part of the National Park Service? Private security? If so, why are some private guards allowed to carry arms?

I remember there were also armed guards at the National Holocaust Musuem, but I don't think there were armed guards at the LBJ musuem.

The National Archives and Records Administration

Quote Originally Posted by chasmain View Post
    .....I did not take a close look at their patches or insignia. Are these part of the National Park Service? Private security? If so, why are some private guards allowed to carry arms?.....
    The George W. Bush Presidential Library and Museum is administered by The National Archives and Records Administration. According to their website, it is, indeed, a Federal agency. Now with regards to whether the officers you saw are contract or federal employees, I do not know. They could have been contract security and it is not uncommon for contract security to be armed in federal contracts. In fact, near me Akal Security has United States District Courts contract. The officers wear blue blazers and grey slacks. On their blazer pocket is identification stating Special Deputy United States Marshal Court Security Officer. They are not federal employees, though. They are paid by Akal Security. They are armed.

Also, Deco Security has the contract for the federal property through the Federal Protective Service near me. Those contract security officers are armed, but wear a uniform with a patch of Deco Security.

There are other federal contracts with armed security officers, too. Federal Aviation Administration and United States Postal Service near me are a couple of others.

Thanks. I believe these officers wore white shirts.