Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Finished up my polygraph. Now to wait and see if medical clearance comes next. July '14 applicant.

ATF SAC what's up with this announcement on usajobs? What's your take? I thought we only hired entry level positions.

https://www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/413379800

As I've noted before, I almost always use terms like generally and usually instead of absolutely or always. This is one of the reasons why. ATF hiring has been largely focused as you note on entry level positions and the hiring authority they have been using is actually limited to entry level. That doesn't mean that the agency cannot use other hiring authorities, although to protect the authority they have they would do so sparingly. I think two mid level positions is pretty spare. This is the rare mid-level announcement (and right at the top of mid-level). I don't know the why. Could be simply that like most agencies ATF is losing senior people and has decided the best method to balance the workforce in those locations is to recruit folks who might like to come over from another agency. Could be there are some folks who left ATF and are looking to come back. I see some things in the announcement that suggest something like this, including on the linked questionnaire that ATF is not offering to pay a move for this and that among the skills and experience are some particular to ATF which might cause an applicant with ATF experience to rate higher. This is just speculation on my part. ATF being ATF they are coloring between the lines on this with a short term public announcement. Could be they have some applicants in mind but are being rigorous in the process and not adverse to doing better if they can. I've also seen instances where ATF has thrown out a life line to help a sister agency resolve something to help one of their folks where ATF could accommodate something the other agency could not.

Given attrition we might or might not see some more of these in the short term, but nothing to rock the boat on the general hiring pattern.

Also worth noting that while ATF has been using selective recruiting, nothing in the hiring authority they have been generally using prevents them from doing public announcements under that authority if they choose to do so.
    ret.

Quote Originally Posted by superjock22 View Post
    ATF SAC what's up with this announcement on usajobs? What's your take? I thought we only hired entry level positions.

https://www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/413379800
    There might be someone the hiring authority already has in mind for the job, especially since it's one vacancy for each location, and the two locations are specifically in DC and Martinsburg, as opposed to two locations on the Southwest Border.
    ESFLEA
    Life is what happens while you're planning other things.

Hello all,

I have read this thread and the previous, but I want to make sure I have this right. In order to apply to the ATF, one must reach out to contact info they publish on the recruiter list. Is this correct?

Thanks,

Polar
    Es mejor perderse que nunca embarcar -Diego Torres

That's right, initial recruitment is done through the divisions and the contacts are published on the ATF website.
    ret.

Thanks so much, ATF SAC. I made contact last week, just in case. Now the waiting game begins. For those with experience through the schedule B hiring, how long did it take for you all to hear back from the division offices?

Thanks,

Polar

Actually never mind, everyone. They replied to me today.

Cyber I passed my physical test, how did you fare? 11:35 1.5 mile, 56 pushups, 55 situps. I wish my run time was a little better but at 230lbs I cant complain.

Maybe someone can clarify this for me. When I was being administered my PT test, the agent that was giving the test told me that the test is only a pass/fail. Essentially, it doesn't matter what you score on the pushups, situps, and 1.5 mile as long as you do the minimum you will move on to the next phase of the hiring process.

In the office, questioning my life choices
    That's correct. There is no sliding scale that ranks one applicant ahead of another based on run time, pushups completed, etc. So if you barely squeaked by and, for instance, Heisenberg did better than you, it doesn't matter. HQ makes two stacks: Passed and Failed. If you passed, you'll be contacted for an interview right along with Heisenberg.

That said, people arriving at FLETC should make sure that they're able to well exceed the minimum standards. If someone barely passed on a nice cool day in Seattle, they might just fail in Brunswick in August, especially if the test is given at 3pm. ATF will administer the PT test within your first few days, and last I heard, failures quickly found themselves unemployed. I hope that we're holding that standard.

Thank you whatchagot. As always, your information is greatly appreciated. I 100% agree, there should absolutely be a standard for PT. It is crucial for the integrity of the agency to adhere to that standard. As for the Georgia heat, I'm from south Louisiana where the days are long and the nights are humid!

Yeah, I'm hitting mid 11s on the run out here in west Texas about 4500 feet above sea level where the air is nice and thin.. Once I get to Georgia I should shave a minute off in that thick heavy air!

Hey all,

As you can see above, I submitted my resume a few weeks ago. Today I got a call about coming in next week to discuss the hiring process. It was a message and unfortunately they did not leave a call-back number. Do you all know what to expect at a meeting like this? Is it similar to an FBI Meet and Greet?

Thanks,

Polar

I have my interview with ATF later this month with the Dallas Field Office!! Anyone else have interviews coming up?