Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    That looks like a whole lot of pain

Here's a piece of shared ATF and DEA history that I never knew before now: https://www.facebook.com/HQATF/photo...type=3&theater
    ret.

Quick question about salary progression. Y'all helped answer me in the past that ATF walks over the base salary $ the best they can. My question is where would I move in the first few years if I was slotted a GL 9 step 10 slot? What would year 2, 3, 4 go as the salary progression is so different with ATF than my current agency where we only move one or two steps a year and is usually around $500 annual per step. My current base salary is between steps 9 and 10 so it's not like I'm losing any base pay and ATF won't need to try to get me back.

In the office, questioning my life choices
    Normal progression is GL9, GS11, GS12, and then GS 13 with 12 months at each grade before 13. If for ease of math we assume that your current base is exactly equivalent to GL 9 Step 10, you currently make $57,093 (without including locality or LEAP, which is important, b/c base pay is the only number that matters in this discussion.)

Using the highest previous rate calculation for OPM, you would be a GS 11 Step 5 at year two. At year three, you're going to be a 12 Step 1 because you will have caught up your base pay from your current job. At year four (assuming you meet all the investigative hurdles and approval from the SAC), you'll be a GS 13 Step 1.

For those of you trolling out there, its important to note that these numbers do not include locality or LEAP. In order to properly calculate actual annual salary, you must include Locality for your city of assignment, and then multiply that number by 1.25. For example, a GS 11 Step 5 with rest of US Locality earns $67,145 on the 2016 OPM pay scale. That person's actual salary is $83,931.25 once LEAP is factored in.

Thanks. That answered my question. Just never knew what step it would be at GS 11 and 12 after starting st GL 9/10.

Just started the process with ATF, waiting for the email to submit my actual application. It has been almost 3 months since the pre-screen meeting. The Agents I spoke with then said 1-1.5 year timeline for the process from that date. Does anyone know if it is moving faster or slower than that, or about how long to expect between each phase? Thanks!

Have heard some get on in as little as 9 months and some ever 18 months. Process moves fairly quick in the beginning with movement each month. It can slow after the FedEx package as some have taken longer to get their eqip, medical follow ups and poly scheduled. Good luck.

Thanks! Appreciate the info!

Hello,

I recently took the ATF exam at a testing center near DC. The testing center had issues with both power and computers, but I got through all the material. At the end of my exam i clicked submit. I recieved no feed back on the successful completion of my test or any indication on how/when I would hear back on my pass/fail.

Can any one tell me how I will be notified about my exam results? I only ask because the other agencies sent out emails within hours. I am concerned my test was not submitted correctly.

Thanks.

They gave out a website that you log into to check your scores. Your score was available 15 minutes after the test concluded. Nothing was sent in the mail to me. My next email was to set up my fitness test.

Quote Originally Posted by newguy101 View Post
    Hello,

I recently took the ATF exam at a testing center near DC. The testing center had issues with both power and computers, but I got through all the material. At the end of my exam i clicked submit. I recieved no feed back on the successful completion of my test or any indication on how/when I would hear back on my pass/fail.

Can any one tell me how I will be notified about my exam results? I only ask because the other agencies sent out emails within hours. I am concerned my test was not submitted correctly.

Thanks.
    I just took my test as well, it took the better part of two weeks before I got a response from the ATF. Waiting to hear back on when I will get set up for the PT Test at this point, good luck.

Just got my FedEx paperwork today! I am going to be sending it right back out tomorrow! I was surprised with how little information was requested on the background portion. Hopefully everyone gets their paperwork soon!

In the office, questioning my life choices
    The SF86 will come later through Eqip.

Just read on a different forum ATF has stopped schedule B hiring all together. I put a call into the local recruiter who was on a conference call regarding the matter and said they would call me back. Has anyone on here heard anything similar recently? I submitted my resume back in October and have just been waiting for an email.

Over time ATF as well as other agencies make changes in how they recruit, whether they are actively looking for applicants or paused because of staffing and budget issues. Very little a candidate can do about any of it but wait for ATF to contact them if they are already an applicant or to announce something if they are looking for an opportunity to apply. I think we are heading into a confusing conversation around the words Schedule B, which has become shorthand for how ATF has been recruiting for a while. That's not what Schedule B means. ATF has been doing targeted recruiting, which is an option but not a requirement under Schedule B. Indeed, none of the authorized hiring Schedules really should mean much to an applicant. What matters is whether ATF is actively hiring, how to apply, and where to apply. All of us appreciate how challenging all of this seems when you are looking for an opportunity, but just hang on a bit. It's important to you; it's also important to ATF so they'll be clarifying soon enough. Deep breaths, In, Out. There.
    ret.