Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789
    I just got the email this morning that my medical exam has been completed and that I am eligible for ATF employment. I feel like I'm inching closer to an offer! Good luck to all others!

That's a good sign. Short of your background interview, you may not hear much else from HQ. If the recent trends continue, the next contact from DC may be a list of cities that are actually available.

Snitches tell me that the classes for the remainder of the fiscal year are almost full and that offers for the last class of the FY are going out now. On a positive note, we appear to be continuing interviews, backgrounds, as well as accepting resumes for Schedule B. Lots of unknowns and this could be just us hedging our bets, but it doesn't appear that we've completely ceased all hiring activity.

Just heard confirmation the the DOJ LE components are now out from under the hiring freeze announced when the new administration took office. Hear the lifting includes the criminal side for attorneys but not civil side. Challenge is still no annual appropriation decision.
    ret.

April 16er.....Have now completed all steps through the drug screening. Now I wait for Med clearance, poly and background! Is it accurate to expect a 6-8 month wait now until the next step?

Hi everyone...I applied to ATF in May 2016. I've completed all steps through drug screening and am now waiting on my poly, medical clearance, and background. I submitted all my paperwork and completed my medical/drug testing at the end of May 2017. Any idea how long I can expect to wait for the poly and med clearance? Also, does ATF have reciprocity for security clearances? Or do they start over? Thanks!!

You heard it was 6-8 months until you get your poly??? omg I sincerely hope not. I can't believe how long this has taken!!!

The process has really slowed as we reach what appears to be the end of our Schedule B hiring glut. I heard the director say with his own mouth that we're just over 2600 sworn agents right now. I believe we have something like 200 applicants sitting on a completely cleared list (have passed all steps and are awaiting offers), and another 700+ who are in various stages of background/interview/poly/medical.

So, here's my best guess with some informed opinion filtering through. All of the FY17 classes are done (the last one of the FY started last week). I haven't seen anything official for FY18, but we were told that it will be 5 classes of 24. To my knowledge, those classes aren't hard booked with FLETC yet. So, some of those 200 will decline offers because their life circumstances have changed, we offered them somewhere they don't want to go, etc. Lets assume that all 200 are wiped off the list filling FY18 classes. I'd venture to guess that--with a few exceptions-- those folks who are processing background/medical/poly right now will be used to fill FY19 classes, assuming that we still have a budget and authority to hire in FY19.

ATF SAC can probably shed more light on this, but I'm not entirely clear on how we're currently getting around the fact that we're capped at 2500 agents (or so I've been told my whole career). I suspect its because we're projecting retirements forward, and I believe that something like 25% of the agency is eligible or mandatory within the next 5 years.

All of that to say, play the long game. Stick to the advice we always give folks here, which is: live your life. Make decisions about promotions, moves, house purchases, babies, etc, as if ATF (or any agency for that matter) isn't going to happen. If it does, cross that bridge when you come to it. It sucks and it's hard. I get it. It took me over 3 years from application to hire with ATF. Federal agent hiring is a fickle thing, and just as ATF appears to be winding down, other agencies appear to be ramping up. Good luck and keep your proverbial heads up about the whole crazy process.

Solid answer, whatchagot. A key to how you can have more personnel than authorized strength is that the budget doesn't fund actual people one by one. The appropriation funds a construct called a Full Time Equivalent or FTE. A FTE is approximately the cost for an employee for 12 months. It averages out things like the fact that not all employees are at the same grade and step, training and equipment costs, etc. When you think about it, trying to budget person by person would be impossible and we have a hard time getting one done even with FTEs.

The trick to an FTE is that if you hired someone on October 1, then by September 30 they would have burned an FTE. But what if you hire them on June 1, halfway through the fiscal year? Why then they would only burn 1/2 a FTE and you can go ahead and hire 2 people in the same FTE. Wow, but watch out for the coming year where you need to be tracking known attrition so you can carry both forward.

Agencies are very good at this and Congress is not counting noses but FTEs. To make it a challenge, Congress is starchy if you don't fill 'em and pissy if you overburn.

None of this will help you get through the hiring process, but for those who do some of you are going to have to manage this kind of thing someday.
    Last edited by ATF SAC; 07-27-2017 at 15:32.
    ret.

Quote Originally Posted by whatchagot View Post
    The process has really slowed as we reach what appears to be the end of our Schedule B hiring glut. I heard the director say with his own mouth that we're just over 2600 sworn agents right now. I believe we have something like 200 applicants sitting on a completely cleared list (have passed all steps and are awaiting offers), and another 700+ who are in various stages of background/interview/poly/medical.
    I am one of the 700. It would appear those of us with out active clearances are on a back burner at the moment. I completed poly in December and can only assume I satisfied medical in Feb with a follow up request early Jan and another one, still asking for more clarification within two weeks. Communication silence since. Haven't heard anything from a background investigator and neither has any of my SF86 contacts. I actually talk to my neighbors and they haven't heard anything. So I'm just sitting here after two years (rounding up from Oct15) waiting to hear something.

I have a military EOD background, and former TS cleared person that did VIPPSA taskings for POTUS and and others protected by that program. I learned my background is irrelevant beyond the recruiter forwarding me to be allowed to apply.

I do have a question for you and maybe ATF SAC. I contacted my recruiter and received no response, which I expected.

I was wondering if the superior academic achievement qualifier has been changed for the ATF. The most recent dated info I can find is 2014. I've noticed that other agencies hiring for 1811 GL7 under superior academic achievement do not include the specific degree fields of study. I looked under some general OPM policy and didn't see specific degree fields specified. I assume that the ATF can add additional requirements which would leave me being offered GL5 still. I was told my degree, biotechnology, didn't qualify me with a 3.8gpa because the vacancy announcement listed four specific degree types and "or other applicable degree". I thought I might be ok under the "or other" qualifier, not so much

Is this something either of you can speak to? Ultimately I would need to bring this up with OPM and/or ATF Applicant Info but I wanted to get more info before I make the contact with either.

The hiring train appears to be continuing. Calls are going out for a November class start date.

Smokinghole, somehow your post got by me and I apologize. Unfortunately, I also can't help much. Have you gotten a specific offer at the GL 5 level or other official notice that you are qualified only at the GL 5?

It's a little unclear whether you are reacting to something somebody said or something concrete. The tough news here is the reference to what was listed in the vacancy announcement. Agencies can constrict these things, but generally have to put that up front. There is also an issue with what you put down as lowest grade you would accept when you applied.

ATF used to be pretty open to academic achievement for a GL 7, and I'm gone long enough to sympathize that it sucks if they have moved off that.
    ret.

Quote Originally Posted by ATF SAC View Post
    Smokinghole, somehow your post got by me and I apologize. Unfortunately, I also can't help much. Have you gotten a specific offer at the GL 5 level or other official notice that you are qualified only at the GL 5?

It's a little unclear whether you are reacting to something somebody said or something concrete. The tough news here is the reference to what was listed in the vacancy announcement. Agencies can constrict these things, but generally have to put that up front. There is also an issue with what you put down as lowest grade you would accept when you applied.

ATF used to be pretty open to academic achievement for a GL 7, and I'm gone long enough to sympathize that it sucks if they have moved off that.
    My conditional offer that preceded the FedEx packet was only for GL5. There's the "or other applicable degree" language, but an OPM individual shot me down. That's why I was wondering if there was something I could address with an ATF specific entity. My recruiter retired and the new guy didn't respond. GL5 is better than nothing ultimately, but if I could make the case to the correct person, it'd make a difference financially in the long run.

Thanks for the insight. I'll look around on the OPM site to see if theres something I can do.