Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

Thread: FBI Secretary

FBI Secretary

I've applied to a few support type of jobs in the past with multiple agencies. I've never actually applied to a secretary position before though. I have to ask the question though; is a secretary a quote un quote female job? I want to start my career with a law enforcement agency, and am willing to do something that I may not like in order to get my career moving forward. Is it worth applying to be an ASAC secretary in order to move into a better position in the future like an intel analyst or 1811?

Although I'm sure there are exceptions, every FBI ASAC or SAC secretary that I've met was a career admin person. This is largely true with staff assistants at most agencies. You will no doubt find some who have moved into other positions, but most hiring managers look for experienced people who will stay in place for awhile. I've seen far more ASACs and SACs move on to new jobs while their staff assistants stick around as bosses come and go.

Quote Originally Posted by nsedet View Post
    Although I'm sure there are exceptions, every FBI ASAC or SAC secretary that I've met was a career admin person. This is largely true with staff assistants at most agencies. You will no doubt find some who have moved into other positions, but most hiring managers look for experienced people who will stay in place for awhile. I've seen far more ASACs and SACs move on to new jobs while their staff assistants stick around as bosses come and go.
    My [short] experience as well.

ASACs and SACs came and went, but the secretary stayed the same

Well, there is that legendary story from the annals of the old INS in which someone was the District Director's secretary on Friday and then a special agent with badge, gun, and exemption from FLETC training on Monday. But I don't think that's what you're expecting.
    But seriously, I wouldn't expect this to be a springboard to something better.
    ESFLEA
    Life is what happens while you're planning other things.

Quote Originally Posted by kzvo91 View Post
    I have to ask the question though; is a secretary a quote un quote female job?
    While many of the secretaries and support positions are female, there are also many male secretaries (some of whom have female ASAC's or SAC's above them).

I don't have enough experience to say whether or not an ASAC secretary is a springboard to something else but there are definitely numerous individuals who have moved on from OST(similar position?) spots to IA/agent/etc.