Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

San Francisco vs NYC

Hello,

Anyone have experience living in both cities and can please give me an assessment as to which city is more expensive? I've heard different things and points of view.

Thanks.

Both are insanely expensive areas, but a lot depends on your lifestyle. Do you want to live in the city or suburbs, how far are you willing to commute, is your work location going to be accessible via mass transit, do you need a car, etc.? You can find cost of living calculators online that will help compare cities, and a quick check of one of them shows cost of living as significantly lower in SF than Manhattan, but about the same as living in Brooklyn. California income taxes run slightly higher than NYS, although with NYC you also have a city tax to contend with.

If you are looking at local police or state jobs, be sure to factor in the high end salary and how long it takes to get there. You will find some departments pay more to start, but level out quickly or require a long time to get to the maximum base salary, while others start lower but raise salaries quickly and end up at a higher base. Starting salary is important, but don't fixate too much on it because it isn't the most important thing in the long run.

My $.02 is that you should focus on which city fits your lifestyle more, rather than trying to gauge affordability since there are so many variables involved and both are going to be expensive.

Thanks. I probably would prefer living in the city. I've lived in the outer boroughs of NY and commuted to Manhattan. I've also been able to do this without a car. I'm not certain if this is possible in SF. From what I have heard, you need a car anywhere in CA. And commuting from Queens or Brooklyn into Manhattan is easier than commuting from the burbs of the Bay into SF.

Then again, to your point, I do think the Bay area is beautiful. However, living and working there is probably a difference as a police officer than as a vistor.

Priced out...I think most LE coming on in the SF Bay Area would be priced out of the market for rental or home purchase now. I mean, you can probably still buy a place out in Tracy or up north of Santa Rosa or something, but definitely going to be a rough go in the Bay Area proper. Its gone crazy within the last 2 years. Public transport is nothing like NYC as far as coverage OR price. Its expensive to take BART or Caltrain, and Muni is a pain, IMO.
    “The fringes of their deserts were strewn with broken faiths.”
    ― T.E. Lawrence, Seven Pillars of Wisdom: A Triumph

Don't just think of cost of living. Agreed both are high. I've lived in both. I lived in SF and in NYC. They'll treat you better as a cop in NYC. People knowing your a cop will treat you better in NYC. I love SF as the 'City by the Bay', but I wouldn't want a job on SFPD. Just my opinion.
    Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!
    Hunter S. Thompson

Thanks for the opinions. I've heard that because of all the young workers in Silicon Valley making 150K plus per year and who want to still live in SF, it's made it even more difficult to rent a decent apartment in the city.

The commute from most parts of Brooklyn/Queens to Manhattan on the subway is not bad at all. And most companies will allow you take the 116.50 per month it costs to take the subway pre-tax. I've taken the BART once or two, but otherwise not familiar with the SF public transport system at all. What about doing without a car and living in the city for the first year or two? Is this even feasible in SF?

How much is a small apartment in an ok area of the city? Can one possibly get something for under 2K per month? Being single may make it easier for me. However, I would like to get married some day. I assume that raising a family in the Bay area could be quite a challenge.

Go on Zillow.com and see the rentals in both cities. Hold onto your shorts. If you're in LE, your definitely looking at 2 incomes to make it work comfortably. I think 2K a month may get you a studio, but you might not want to walk outside. Or if you're single, the roommate game is available.
    Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!
    Hunter S. Thompson

Thanks. This isn't looking very promising.

But, how do you officers enjoy the job itself? The day to day, the interaction with the public. I know that SF is very liberal city, but how much outright hostility can there be towards the police? After all, they are there to protect all of the public, liberal or not.

It's all speculation at this point until you get a job offer. As we like to say here...get the job FIRST and the best thing for you would be to have offers from both. I'd definitely hunt down some recent Academy grads from both PDs and get some first-hand current input.
    Hunter S. Thompson

You're correct. Thanks.