Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

Results 1 to 15 of 18

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    218

    State Police vs Local Police

    Anyone have any insights on one versus another? It seems that state police spends much time on highway patrol? When does state have jurisdiction over a local investigation?

    Does local tend to have more interaction with the public?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,941
    Quote Originally Posted by chasmain View Post
    Anyone have any insights on one versus another? It seems that state police spends much time on highway patrol? When does state have jurisdiction over a local investigation?

    Does local tend to have more interaction with the public?
    As a State Trooper told me, "see this state patch ? anything in this patch"

    However day to day a city police will probably more contacts with public, versus a roadside stop scenario as the majority

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    New York State
    Posts
    1,785
    No easy answer here. It varies state to state and even to regions within the state. I will use NY as an example. A NYS Trooper assigned to Troop T will primarily spend his time enforcing the law on and around the NYS Thruway system. In many other regions upstate, a Trooper may spend his entire shift answering 911 calls or on patrol. Likewise a trooper assigned to NYC (yes, there are some) will be working almost exclusively in support of ongoing task forces or investigations.
    A very, very broad question that is difficult to give a definite answer to.
    "There is no second place winner"-- Bill Jordan

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    218
    Jim

    I appreciate the answer. I understand the question was broad in nature, but thanks for taking you best stab at it.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    West of Ireland
    Posts
    645
    One thing that you need to keep in mind [unless you're a legacy, and I doubt you are because if you were, you wouldn't have to post here] is that you have to pay your dues first, doing the basic, primary function of the agency. Don't expect any special assignments or designations for at least five years, if not longer.
    As for boredom, that comes with the job. It's the 1% of sheer terror that makes up for the other 99%.
    ESFLEA
    Life is what happens while you're planning other things.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    6,371
    There are 49 variations out there (Hawaii does not have a State police agency). The big division is between State Patrols which are generally highway safety and in States which have one or more separate State investigative agencies. State Police will provide both patrol and investigative services in one organization. State patrols often have specialized assignments such as SWAT, dignitary protection or criminal interdiction units but are overwhelmingly about the highway. State police have more functions because of the investigative side. Apart from that you have to look at specific agencies. Some state police agencies provide full service patrol in rural communities, as well as the highway patrolling and investigative services. You would have to go through their webpages to see some of the differences and the scope of assignments might well relate to where you were stationed in the State.
    ret.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    218
    Quote Originally Posted by esflea View Post
    One thing that you need to keep in mind [unless you're a legacy, and I doubt you are because if you were, you wouldn't have to post here] is that you have to pay your dues first, doing the basic, primary function of the agency. Don't expect any special assignments or designations for at least five years, if not longer.
    As for boredom, that comes with the job. It's the 1% of sheer terror that makes up for the other 99%.
    Would you say this is true for both state and local agencies? I have a friend on the NYPD who was only in uniform for 2.5 years. I know he is a detective 3rd grade now. I am not certain if he became detective after the 2.5 years or was merely an officer who was on an assignment that did not require a uniform.

    But, I assume you mean that at least at the state level one will most likely be patrolling the highways for 5 years or so?

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Il,
    Posts
    306
    I
    "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."- Sherlock Holmes

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    218
    Thanks..that's what I figured. One would interact with the public more on the city level. I guess that could be good or bad. I know one former state trooper who quit because of the boredom of watching the card go by on the highway.

    However, can't most state police officers move on to a specialized unit after a few years, or is the bulk of state police work highway patrol for most of an officer's career?


 

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •