Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

San Diego Police

Hi,

Anyone know anything about SDPD? It doesn't pay as well as other departments such as SFPD and San Diego is expensive, but how is the gig itself?

Is San Diego generally a more police friendly environment than say San Francisco, Seattle and other major cities?

Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by chasmain View Post
    Hi,

Anyone know anything about SDPD? It doesn't pay as well as other departments such as SFPD and San Diego is expensive, but how is the gig itself?

Is San Diego generally a more police friendly environment than say San Francisco, Seattle and other major cities?

Thank you.
    San Diego is definitely more police friendly than SF or Seattle. The salary is lower but I think you can get a lot more bang for your buck. Lot of guys live in places like Temecula which is reasonably affordable.

As for the job itself, I hear pretty good things. 4-10s with decent promotion potential.

Thanks for the response.

Apologies for the ignorance, but what is "4-10"s?

4x10hr work days.then 3 day weekends! As far as salary, the City employers had sometime called the "San Diego Discount" It means you'll easily take 10% less salary to liv in San Diego! Most residents would agree,
    Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!
    Hunter S. Thompson

Thanks...3 day weekends sound desirable, but I assume there are opportunities for OT?

I'm sure there is always a "salary discount" with any major city, but I would imagine the cost of living in SD is better than in SF or LA? However, I see that there is quite a disparity in pay between SD and SF? Does anyone think this gap in pay makes up for the more expensive cost of living in SF?

Thanks.

Cost of living calculator states housing in SF is 49% higher than San Diego. 17% higher for groceries.

Just saw a guy was (literally) trying to rent out a tent in his backyard for $800 a month in the Bay Area!

Think you've got you answer as to why SF pays more .
    Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!
    Hunter S. Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by dmclark View Post
    Cost of living calculator states housing in SF is 49% higher than San Diego. 17% higher for groceries.

Just saw a guy was (literally) trying to rent out a tent in his backyard for $800 a month in the Bay Area!

Think you've got you answer as to why SF pays more .
    Ouch! That's rough! It sounds like SF must be more expensive to live in that NYC? From what I understand, at least in NYC, you can commute in from the outer boroughs and not pay exorbitant Manhattan rates. And, you don't need a car.

In SF, isn't tougher to commute from the outside the city? One must cross one of the two bridges that I am sure are always congested.

Quote Originally Posted by chasmain View Post
    Ouch! That's rough! It sounds like SF must be more expensive to live in that NYC? From what I understand, at least in NYC, you can commute in from the outer boroughs and not pay exorbitant Manhattan rates. And, you don't need a car.

In SF, isn't tougher to commute from the outside the city? One must cross one of the two bridges that I am sure are always congested.
    But, I guess if you live and work in SF proper, you don't need car?

Suggest you Google Cost of Living Calculator and check ALL the info out. Then try Living in ___ and you see some Forums where people ask the same questions.

Get back to us here when you have job offers in hand for LE advice. Good luck.
    Hunter S. Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by dmclark View Post
    Suggest you Google Cost of Living Calculator and check ALL the info out. Then try Living in ___ and you see some Forums where people ask the same questions.

Get back to us here when you have job offers in hand for LE advice. Good luck.
    Fair enough. Thank you.