Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

Thread: PFT Standards

PFT Standards

Hi,

I recently passed both the written and physical tests for a local law enforcement agency.

On the physical, I passed comfortably for all the events for my age group (I am neither in the oldest or youngest age group).

However, I am not a huge fan of age adjusted standards as I feel that once you are out on the streets, there are certainly no age adjusted situations. I therefore pushed myself to try go for standards set for the youngest group. I did very well on most of the events. Particularly on the run, I beat the others in my group, including those younger than me. But, I did not get the number of sit ups required for the youngest group. However, I surpassed the number required for my age group. I therefore passed.

My concern is twofold: I want to be a PO only if I truly earned and keep up with the best of them.

Secondly, can I assume that the PT standards at the police academy are more stringent than those required for the application? If so, do people wash out of academies for these PT reasons?

Quote Originally Posted by chasmain View Post

Secondly, can I assume that the PT standards at the police academy are more stringent than those required for the application? If so, do people wash out of academies for these PT reasons?
    Yes.

Yes.
    It is better to be feared than loved, if you cannot be both. - Niccolo Machiavelli

Most people respect the badge, everybody respects the gun.

I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. - Colonel Jessup

Great to want to achieve higher goals for yourself. Just remember you goal is to graduate and not recycle for a pulled hamstring or torn shoulder.
    Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!
    Hunter S. Thompson

Thanks. Ironically, I did damage a rotator cuff last year lifting weights with a much bigger and stronger friend of mine.

But, why do agencies allow for age adjusted standards? Is this because they fear getting sued for age discrimination?

After all, the safety of the public should come first. If an older applicant is allowed to complete less pushups than a younger applicant, how does this help the public if such an applicant becomes an officer and then faces a young, strong perp on the streets.

Perhaps agencies want to hire older applicants, and women, for that matter, because these applicants can bring to the job unique perspectives and experiences that may make up for the fact that they may not be as physicall fit as a young,male applicant.

We could write a book. This was all decided by lawyers attempting to prevent litigation. Age adjusted is commonplace.
    Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!
    Hunter S. Thompson

I'm not sure that the number of push-ups either person can do will determine the outcome when an officer faces a young, strong perp on the streets.

Quote Originally Posted by tooloot View Post
    I'm not sure that the number of push-ups either person can do will determine the outcome when an officer faces a young, strong perp on the streets.
    Ha ha...you're probably right.

There's an old poster floating around LE gyms, showing a perp doing bench presses. The caption: Train every day....because HE is.
    Hunter S. Thompson

The poster makes sense.

Do you people here feel there is a sense of resentment against those that get into an academy based on age adjusted PT standards? Do such standards also exist at the academies? Or does everyone need to adhere to the same standards once there?

Once again, I don't want to get hired by anyone unless I know that I have truly earned my spot along with the fastest and the strongest.

Resentment or at least snark is directed at those who cannot complete the physical, mental and judgmental requirements of the academy and become a weight on the class performance. The point of the PFT is that you must achieve the minimum regardless of adjustment to actually perform the duties of the job. The point of the academy is that you must demonstrate the ability to perform the full range of duties, which are not adjusted. Good classes perform as teams, supporting each other from areas of above average capability to bring up the entire group. My experience is that no one cares about your entrance scores; everyone cares that you pitch in and carry your weight in the class, in the gym, on the range and in practical exercises.
    ret.

Thanks. I'll bear that in mind.