Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

Police Commissioner

This may be a silly question, but how does one address the Police Commissioner?

I had occasion to meet the police commissioner of a major city, but was unsure of how to address him:

"Commissioner (last name)..."

"Mr. Commissioner"

In NYC, just "Commissioner." Although I'm sure "Commissoner Bratton" would work fine.

Thanks...it was in fact former commissioner Ray Kelly. I know that technically he is now simply "Mr. Kelly", but I don't think I'd have been out of line by addressing him by his former honorific.

Kelly was also Undersecretary of the US Treasury [for law enforcement], Commissioner of the old US Customs Service, and, I believe, a Colonel [maybe Lt. Col?] in the US Marine Corps Reserve, so a few titles work for him. "Commissioner" probably works best for him.
    ESFLEA
    Life is what happens while you're planning other things.

yes, he is a retired full bird colonel in the marine reserves. He also held those other positions you mentioned.

curious: in his bio he mentioned something about receiving "credit" for time served as an active duty officer. is this still the case for NYPD promotions?