Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Possible ICE duty weapon transistion?

Anyone heard anything definitive from OFTP or elsewhere?
    ERO recently authorized another Glock for POW carry and our some of the FIs seem to think the agency is definitely going to move to a 9mm issue firearm as well. I know that a survey was done last year (maybe 2) and that there was mention that a new round of trials were underway but that was months ago. Just curious what scuttlebutt others are hearing.
    "There is no second place winner"-- Bill Jordan

Can't speak for ERO, but HSI is going to be transitioning to the 9mm as far as issued handguns. In regards to a time frame, BIG has no clue, but suspects sooner than later.
    It is better to be feared than loved, if you cannot be both. - Niccolo Machiavelli

Most people respect the badge, everybody respects the gun.

I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. - Colonel Jessup

FBI is transitioning to 9mm. There's a new magic Harry Potter wizard 9mm round that suddenly alters the laws of physics and works just like .40 and .45 rounds, so we will just do that. Has nothing to do with people not training and keeping up with the ability to shoot .40 or cheaper weapons or anything like that.......

Or Buffy/Muffy's failure to qualify. We've worked and the issue and now found a 'safe place'.

Replace thousands of handguns with different calibers, which we'll decree are far superior now to what we tested in 1985. We'll talk uniformity, lower per round cost to justify the expense.

Then ask where your raise went next year. We can continue to dumb it down....hey, I hear the .22 is easier to shoot... !
    Last edited by dmclark; 04-20-2016 at 19:10.
    Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!
    Hunter S. Thompson

you know, the outside observer in me indeed wonders why 1811's from different agencies are indeed issued out of the Academy different weapons. One would think "Violent Crime Task Force" or "Gang Squad" duty aka FBI/DEA/ATF/HSI, whatever gun works for them, should work for all of them, and should also work for FDA-OIG, etc.

Oh well. I am hearing similar rumors at my place (move to 9mm). For same reasons as Irish Grunt stated. If "Big Brother" FBI does it, we will likely follow suit. It is what it is.

Have a great week guys

Quote Originally Posted by satpak77 View Post
    you know, the outside observer in me indeed wonders why 1811's from different agencies are indeed issued out of the Academy different weapons. One would think "Violent Crime Task Force" or "Gang Squad" duty aka FBI/DEA/ATF/HSI, whatever gun works for them, should work for all of them, and should also work for FDA-OIG, etc.
    HSI has an entire firearms training division and somehow came up with the Sig DAK as their last major duty weapon, which is a good lesson in big agencies not necessarily knowing what they are doing.

In the office, questioning my life choices
    State agencies in my area have already transitioned from .40 to 9mm, citing the FBI's research as the reason. In the last 3-4 years, ATF spent a decent amount of $ to transition from Sig .40 cal to Glock .40 cal. I'll be curious to see if someone plunks down the change to transition us again anytime soon.

Interesting
    Last edited by DrePol; 04-21-2016 at 20:18.

The move to 9mm is only (allegedly) supported if you also issue the magic super duper wizard ammo, which cannot yet be supplied in sufficient quantities to support the FBI early limited purchases, let alone widespread agency purchases. Thus, others using normal 9mm ammo are getting even less bang than the Bu is likely getting for its buck.

And DEA has traditionally (via FTU Quantico) piggy-backed on the Bureau's firearms contracts. Given the incredible amount of testing required to get a govt firearms contract, it's a smart contracting move.
    Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!
    Hunter S. Thompson

In an interesting turn, we've been screwing around with this 9mm idea for so long now, the last few years of FBI Glock 22 purchases have been piggybacked on the DEA's contract.

Quote Originally Posted by dmclark View Post
    And DEA has traditionally (via FTU Quantico) piggy-backed on the Bureau's firearms contracts. Given the incredible amount of testing required to get a govt firearms contract, it's a smart contracting move.
    I used to think so too, until I realized how easy it is for the firearms people to manipulate the standards to prioritize or eliminate certain makes/models from the competition. Regardless of issued weapon, I'm a big fan of agencies having broad enough firearm options so their people can carry a weapon they are comfortable with. That there are still agencies that mandate everyone carry a particular weapon as their only option still boggles my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by nsedet View Post
    Regardless of issued weapon, I'm a big fan of agencies having broad enough firearm options so their people can carry a weapon they are comfortable with. That there are still agencies that mandate everyone carry a particular weapon as their only option still boggles my mind.
    Thanks everyone for the replies. I too suspect a change is coming, but usually the rumor mill is churning constantly and so far pretty quiet.

As for a broad range of approved weapons; back when I first joined the G with INS I thought that USMS had a fairly enlightened policy. They issued the .357 mag revolver (S&W, I think) but had a long approved list of personally owned weapons approved for duty carry. According to sources, the majority of deputies didn't want a wheel gun so purchased their own weapon for duty carry and returned the .357. This saved the USMS money and most everyone will take better care of equipment when you actually own it. Win-Win.
    No idea if the Marshals are still operating this way but it made a lot of sense then and still does in my book.
    "There is no second place winner"-- Bill Jordan

I can't help but remember that after all this f/a testing, INS chose the awful Beretta Brigadier 96D General, which just about everyone hated.....and then one of the officers deciding on who got the contract went to work for Beretta soon after.
    ESFLEA
    Life is what happens while you're planning other things.

Quote Originally Posted by esflea View Post
    I can't help but remember that after all this f/a testing, INS chose the awful Beretta Brigadier 96D General, which just about everyone hated.....and then one of the officers deciding on who got the contract went to work for Beretta soon after.
    Ahh, the always Double Action 96....

Went to Revolver 686 to the Beretta while I was at BP. Circa 1996-ish