Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Possible ICE Duty Weapon Transition?

I had to laugh a bit when I read this because I h ave went through a number of transitions myself. I have worked both full and part time for a few PDs, then an SO, and now a quasi-federal agency as a retirement job. Here is a bit of my history:

-GPD: I was issued a city owned S&W .38 special Model 10 revolver.

-LCPD: I carried my personally owned Colt Cobra .38 special revolver.

-WBLPD: I carried my personally owned S&W .357 magnum Model 66 revolver.
    Several years later they allowed us to switch to a semi-automatic and I bought a S&W Model 5906 9 mm.

-DCSO: I was allowed to carry the S&W Model 5906 for my first year, but they were already discussing switching to am issued weapon for everybody. Our eventual choices were the Glock Model 22 or 23 in .40 S&W. I went with the Glock Model 22.

-Current: Issued a Glock Model 21SF in .45 ACP. I will likely be switched over to a Glock Model 17 9 mm sometime this year.

Probably a lot of us that have been in cop work for a bunch of years have similar stories. We may have started with a wheel gun in .38 special or .357 magnum when we started. We eventually switched to a 9 mm semi-automatic. Often the moved up to .40 S&W (or .45 ACP) and now back to 9 mm.

Quote Originally Posted by satpak77 View Post
    Ahh, the always Double Action 96....

Went to Revolver 686 to the Beretta while I was at BP. Circa 1996-ish
    Yeah, shooting that for three years screwed me up when I switched to the Sig 9mm with ATF in '99.
    ESFLEA
    Life is what happens while you're planning other things.

BNDD issued us the Model 10. It was a fine revolver. Of course, I could have done w/o the 110 gr Super Vels that were issued. Waaay too lightweight and produced a flame from the short barrel. Also well documented incidents of penetration failure.

But hey, they'll continue to issue what they want and justify it with a new multimillion dollar study. Me? As a retired narc, I still carry my .45 Ed Brown!

Be safe all.
    Last edited by dmclark; 04-24-2016 at 00:52.
    Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!
    Hunter S. Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by dmclark View Post
    BNDD issued us the Model 10.....
    Wow, that is an agency name that I haven't heard about in over 40 years! As a kid growing up in the 1970s, my part time job during high school was working at the local drug store. Every so often I would hear one of the pharmacists refer to the "BNDD number". It took a long time before they started saying DEA number.

We were hoping that when they changed from BNDD, they'd go back to 'Federal Bureau of Narcotics'. That was a political non-starter. Much grief over DEA and guys couldn't/wouldn't self-identify for a long time.
    Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!
    Hunter S. Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by satpak77 View Post
    you know, the outside observer in me indeed wonders why 1811's from different agencies are indeed issued out of the Academy different weapons. One would think "Violent Crime Task Force" or "Gang Squad" duty aka FBI/DEA/ATF/HSI, whatever gun works for them, should work for all of them, and should also work for FDA-OIG, etc.
    Like Nsedet said, I think people should be able to carry the tool they're most comfortable with. Also, while it's bad enough to have to carry a particular model firearm based on what a select group of people in your agency happen to love or despise, it'd be even worse if you had to carry what the same inner clique of gun lovers in SOME OTHER agency happen to be enamored with.
    Last edited by krellum; 04-27-2016 at 08:57.
    "I don't share your greed...the only card I need...is the Ace of Spades, the Ace of Spades..."

If we got to carry around any tool, who would get first dibs on that one GS...you know, there's always one GS that's the biggest tool....
    “The fringes of their deserts were strewn with broken faiths.”
    ― T.E. Lawrence, Seven Pillars of Wisdom: A Triumph

RHIP will never change for some folks. Be it the newest firearms or G cars. It's the J O B.
    Hunter S. Thompson

Sometimes its good to be king?
    “The fringes of their deserts were strewn with broken faiths.”
    ― T.E. Lawrence, Seven Pillars of Wisdom: A Triumph

Quote Originally Posted by dmclark View Post
    RHIP will never change for some folks. Be it the newest firearms or G cars. It's the J O B.
    Like the infamous "Cadillac SAC" in an ATF Division that shall remain nameless?
    ESFLEA
    Life is what happens while you're planning other things.

Everybody gets a Cadillac SAC once in awhile.
    Hunter S. Thompson