Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

Talking Hiring getting better or worse??

Over the past several months I've seen numerous professional articles written about how the applicant pool keeps dwindling and departments are having to put more and more effort into both recruitment AND retention.

So what say you? At every level, is hiring becoming harder? Easier? Do folks have a better chance of getting into LE today? Has the private sector improved enough that public sector jobs aren't as attractive? Based solely on the traffic here, I would say interest in hiring has slowed down but I know that is only a small segment of all hiring activity.

As far as ICE is concerned, by all accounts all of our classes at FLETC are full and they are trying to squeeze more classes in. This doesn't necessarily mean more hiring. Like most Fed LE we're working off a huge back log going back several years.
    Last edited by JimSpoor; 07-06-2016 at 14:50.
    "There is no second place winner"-- Bill Jordan

Hiring Getting Better Or Worse?

Quote Originally Posted by JimSpoor View Post
    .....At every level, is hiring becoming harder? Easier? Do folks have a better chance of getting into LE today? Has the private sector improved enough that public sector jobs aren't as attractive? Based solely on the traffic here, I would say interest in hiring has slowed down but I know that is only a small segment of all hiring activity.....
    I am in Minnesota. For a number of years we have had a glut of applicants that have a two or four year degrees, or higher, and have completed a Skills program. The challenge for chiefs and sheriffs has been to determine who is the best candidates from a large pool of very well qualified applicants.

That seems to have taken a turn more recently. Many, you were already enrolled in programs, were inclined to "stay the course." Others, who were finishing high school, that may have otherwise had an interest, seem to be looking elsewhere.

I still read and hear frustrations about diversity and inclusion from chief law enforcement officers in these parts. They struggle to hire officers representative of the communities they police. Often, when I talk to people that might be qualified, they seem disinterested. Many Native American and Latino/Latinas tell me that if they are going to spend money to get a college degree, they want to do something better than being a cop.

I have retired from local service 5 1/2 years ago. I am now at a quasi-federal organization whose mission is "force protection." Since we aren't licensed by the MN POST Board, our requirements are different. We hire a large number of "protected class" individuals. We do seem to give a great deal of preference to those with armed forces experience.

Our biggest problem seems to be retention. We don't pay as well as city/county/state agencies nearby, thus we get officers here that use us as a "stepping stone" to a better paying job. Not an uncommon scenario in many places around the country.

There are a lack of qualified applicants for local law enforcement jobs in Colorado. For years medium and smaller agencies have relied on the community college system to provide a pool of POST certified candidates who have put themselves through the police academy. This isn't working, so these departments are starting to bring in non certified applicants and are again paying to send them to an academy. This has helped as this pool of candidates is more diverse and they often have better backgrounds. Our biggest issues have been finding candidates with acceptable backgrounds related to past drug use and finding people who can pass the psychological screening. A lot of candidates look great on paper, but can't make it through the rest of the hiring process. I also think the current political climate isn't making local law enforcement a very attractive career option right now.

there is no issue with "number of applicants" we get a zillion. The problem is the (lack of) folks with no credit issues, no experimental or one-time drug use, no arrests of any kind. So "filling academies" is the issue. By the time the background is done, the Poly is done, etc etc and everything is crunched, the numbers are way lower.

If you have a degree, work in law enforcement, have zero (none, not even "kind of"), no issues in the above categories, you really need to be applying for whatever 1811 job is announced. Do not get tripped up over the water cooler talk that "million apps for that vacancy." All that matters is your app, and your situation.

Good Luck
    Last edited by satpak77; 08-24-2016 at 19:12.