Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

Hybrid View

Question CBP Hiring Process - Prolonged!

Hey all,

Let me start of by saying this is my 3rd time applying for CBPO in the Southwestern region.

-First time I didn't turn in my signature forms and the email they sent with a 48 hour deadline went straight to my junk which I never read. That was an automatic disqualification.
    -Second time I passed everything, then failed polygraph so I had to wait 3 years to reapply.
    - Third time which is this time around. I applied in November 2015. By April of 2016 I had done my written exam, physical test, interview and Video Based Test. It has been over a year and I haven't heard anything back. I have other friends who applied at the same time I did and they've all already taken the polygraph already. Some have passed and even graduated the academy while others have failed the polygraph and out of the process but I STILL haven't gotten a response. On CASS System it shows everything as passed except for 'Drug Screening' which I haven't taken and 'Background Investigation' which the polygraph is a part of.

Every time I call the Hiring Center they tell me they can't give me any information about my status.

Has this happened to anyone else? This waiting period? Is this normal? Or what should I do?

Any help would be greatly appreciated since I'm in the dark here.

Thanks!!!

*CARR-SW

In a situation like this all you can do is wait, no one but CBP will be able to tell you what is happening in your particular situation. As an applicant you really don't have any right to detailed information regarding the process so i wouldn't rock the boat. I'm not sure what your ambitions are, but if I were you, and assuming you haven't done so already, I would apply to other agencies of interest. Federal employment can be a fickle thing and sometimes people apply to several agencies before getting an offer from only one and there is an infinite number of reasons why. Good luck to you.

Thanks for the response 18uscs.

My application is actually for both Customs and also for Border Patrol. I went through both processes and they are both just pending background investigation. I have been a police officer for the past 3 years and Im 25 years old. I was just a little frustrated with this process taking so long and was wondering if any of you all had the same issue.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CARR-SW View Post
    Hey all,

Let me start of by saying this is my 3rd time applying for CBPO in the Southwestern region.

-First time I didn't turn in my signature forms and the email they sent with a 48 hour deadline went straight to my junk which I never read. That was an automatic disqualification.
    -Second time I passed everything, then failed polygraph so I had to wait 3 years to reapply.
    - Third time which is this time around. I applied in November 2015. By April of 2016 I had done my written exam, physical test, interview and Video Based Test. It has been over a year and I haven't heard anything back. I have other friends who applied at the same time I did and they've all already taken the polygraph already. Some have passed and even graduated the academy while others have failed the polygraph and out of the process but I STILL haven't gotten a response. On CASS System it shows everything as passed except for 'Drug Screening' which I haven't taken and 'Background Investigation' which the polygraph is a part of.

Every time I call the Hiring Center they tell me they can't give me any information about my status.

Has this happened to anyone else? This waiting period? Is this normal? Or what should I do?

Any help would be greatly appreciated since I'm in the dark here.

Thanks!!!

*CARR-SW
    Unless CBP is different, Poly is not "part of" background. Background is the physical interviewing of your neighbors, credit checks, local PD activity/contact history, military record checks, etc. Background will occur after Poly is passed, as backgrounds are time consuming and no reason to do one unless the Poly is passed.

Best advice given on this site has been, "Apply. Keep living your life."

Depending on the agency and number of applicants the process can be from a year to two years. Remember, this is a marathon, not a sprint.
    It is better to be feared than loved, if you cannot be both. - Niccolo Machiavelli

Most people respect the badge, everybody respects the gun.

I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. - Colonel Jessup

Big,

Do you mind clearing some PM space? I have a question for you if you have a second.

Quote Originally Posted by Honda View Post
    Big,

Do you mind clearing some PM space? I have a question for you if you have a second.
    Sorry, just saw this. BIG has been quite busy as of late.

Space has been cleared. PM as you like.
    It is better to be feared than loved, if you cannot be both. - Niccolo Machiavelli

I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. - Colonel Jessup

Quote Originally Posted by Big Sexy View Post
    Best advice given on this site has been, "Apply. Keep living your life."

Depending on the agency and number of applicants the process can be from a year to two years. Remember, this is a marathon, not a sprint.
    Well stated, Big Sexy. Right on the money, as always. --TOM

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasAckerman View Post
    Well stated, Big Sexy. Right on the money, as always. --TOM
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by satpak77 View Post
    Background will occur after Poly is passed, as backgrounds are time consuming ....
    And expensive too. The sponsoring agency has to pay OPM/NBIB for services rendered.
    ESFLEA
    Life is what happens while you're planning other things.