Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by whatchagot View Post
    I agree completely. ATF likes to make our academy hard for the sake of doing so, and my personal opinion is that the vast majority of the ATF SRT goobers dressed in multi-cam couldn't investigate their way to lunch, much less document it. Nevertheless, they dominate the academy. That said, I would like to know that a cover team can physically run 200 yards in full gear and fight when they get there.

I also agree that the need for a PT test at any agency is as much a demonstration of an applicants' self discipline as it is of any practical skill.
    One of the unfortunate realities of the federal system is that pre-hire and academy testing is about the only time most agencies can implement any real PT standard. This can push the standard higher than it needs to be to do the job, but that also sets a higher baseline for your agent workforce over their next 20-30 years. At least if you start with a high standard and expect applicants to have the discipline to get there, hopefully you end up with agents who can take care of themselves fitness-wise once out of the academy.

It would be better if agencies could maintain and enforce a realistic fitness standard on an annual basis but, other than the natural resource agencies, I don't know of any 1811 agency that has a fitness system for incumbent agents that has any teeth to it despite some valiant effforts across FLE to do so over the years.

The issue with maintaining an annual fitness standard for FLEO's is that some agents do get banged up over the years, beyond the normal aging process. Maybe it's not enough to get an OPM Disability annuity, but with injuries here and there (like tearing someone's arm out during "Combat and Arrest Techniques" just to prove what a [email protected] you are), ability to meet standards can collapse within a few years.
    ESFLEA
    Life is what happens while you're planning other things.

Quote Originally Posted by esflea View Post
    The issue with maintaining an annual fitness standard for FLEO's is that some agents do get banged up over the years, beyond the normal aging process. Maybe it's not enough to get an OPM Disability annuity, but with injuries here and there (like tearing someone's arm out during "Combat and Arrest Techniques" just to prove what a [email protected] you are), ability to meet standards can collapse within a few years.
    Ain't that the truth. BIG has had 5 operations, for on the job injuries, since being on the job. Recently, everyday has been a battle to go more than a day pain free of something that ails BIG. Yet, BIG is still an advocate for the gym and attempts to go as much as a particular days work load and ailment will allow. BIG gets older and these criminals stay forever young. BIG now has to work at that which used to come naturally.
    It is better to be feared than loved, if you cannot be both. - Niccolo Machiavelli

Most people respect the badge, everybody respects the gun.

I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. - Colonel Jessup

Agreed! I've had my own injuries over the years as a result of this job and previous LE jobs. Keeping active helps me feel better. Trying to train too hard doesn't. It's a balancing act.

And Big, you know you're a beast! Injuries be damned.

Quote Originally Posted by Gracie Hart View Post
    Agreed! I've had my own injuries over the years as a result of this job and previous LE jobs. Keeping active helps me feel better. Trying to train too hard doesn't. It's a balancing act.

And Big, you know you're a beast! Injuries be damned.
    Your flattery to BIG is very kind, Ms. Hart, and you still remain BIG's, SHEro.
    It is better to be feared than loved, if you cannot be both. - Niccolo Machiavelli

I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. - Colonel Jessup

Any updated info here
    Book 'em Dan-o.

BIG hasn't heard anything more than what he posted before. BIG would suggest reaching out to a local HSI recruiter.

Quote Originally Posted by thisguyjc24 View Post
    Any updated info here
    Last I heard, HSI is still processing a large pool of candidates from its 2016 announcements. I wouldn't expect anything new until that wave is done with the process sometime this summer.

Hi everyone...this is encouraging news that SACs will get their direct lateral hiring authority back. Any updates to this? Is it all SACs or just hard-to-fill locations? Any idea of timing? Thanks so much!

Only update BIG has is there should be 17 HSI classes in the new fiscal year. For those who don't know, the new fiscal year starts on October 1, 2017.

Whether these 17 classes are new hires, laterals or a combination of the two, is currently unknown to BIG.

Rumor has it the lateral will not require agents to go to ICE SAT at FLETC due to the sheer number of classes it would require. Training will be held at the SAC offices for laterals.

That's the rumor. Any way to confirm?
    Book 'em Dan-o.

Any word on SAC hiring authority?

As of about 2 weeks ago, still no guidance had been given to SAC recruiters on how to implement it. Basically, the authority exists but nobody knows how to use it currently. If anybody has updated gouge, please let me know as well!