Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Current info that I am hearing is that there will be no lateral announcement—just an entry level announcement that laterals can apply to. As said before, PT test and polygraph will now be part of the process. Does anybody know if HSI plans to waive the poly for current 1811s and military members with a security clearance, like CBP is doing?

Lots to think about for current 1811s—Major paycut, polygraph, and likely not a highly desirable location.

Quote Originally Posted by Honda View Post
    FYI as of a few days ago, SACs were told that OPM is still reviewing the process of direct hire for special agents and has not approved anything yet.
    Last BIG heard, within the last couple of days, is that direct hire has been granted, but details are being ironed out.

Can't speak regarding laterals vs. entry level. Not because its a secret, but BIG doesn't know. Perhaps someone else in the know can speak upon it.

BIG hasn't heard anything regarding the implication of polys. Whether it'll be waived for laterals or not.

For the record, minus the poly, as well as other board members, BIG took a massive pay cut jumping to HSI and has spent time in both an undesirable location and a location which made up a substantial amount of the agency's stats. All of which can be overcome, despite sometimes having to pay the piper.
    It is better to be feared than loved, if you cannot be both. - Niccolo Machiavelli

Most people respect the badge, everybody respects the gun.

I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. - Colonel Jessup

I can't see HSI having a shortage of applicants, so if people don't want the negatives associated with HSI (like location and a paycut), the next person in line will be fine with it.

Maybe I'm wrong, but that's what it seems like from an outside perspective.

Trust, there is no shortage of applicants.

Especially since one of our own was just invited to attend and recognized by name by the Potus at the SOTU.
    It is better to be feared than loved, if you cannot be both. - Niccolo Machiavelli

I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. - Colonel Jessup

applied in 2015 and 2016 and couldn't get past the application screener, which appears to favor those with prior immigration experience.

expecting the same for future announcements, or will a wider swath of backgrounds be allowed to continue?

Quote Originally Posted by Emaichbe03 View Post
    applied in 2015 and 2016 and couldn't get past the application screener, which appears to favor those with prior immigration experience.

expecting the same for future announcements, or will a wider swath of backgrounds be allowed to continue?
    Prior immigration experience? Are you sure you applied with HSI and not ERO? Despite us both falling under ICE, ERO is an immigration agency.

HSI has immigration authority, much like the FBI has immigration authority, of which we exercise the authority more, but HSI is NOT an immigration agency.

We have groups which work the smuggling of illegal aliens, groups which work trafficking of people, to include USC's, Resident Aliens, Illegal Aliens and those brought into the country under false pretext and groups which work against fake or falsely and unlawfully obtained documents; be they immigration, DL's, etc. Beyond those three, of which alien smuggling is more illegal alien centric, other aspects of this agency have little to no contact with aliens. Unless of course the target of an investigation happens to be dealing narcotics, a gang banger, importing or exporting contrary to law, committing financial crimes, a threat to national security, trafficking in intellectual property, antiquities, and also happens to be an alien or a foreign based company.

It looks like I remembered it wrong. I thought it was extensive experience related to immigration, but I pulled up the screener with my answers and there wasn't anything related to immigration.

There was, however, several questions getting at prior law enforcement experience. For example, questions related to experience in the following:
    -Presenting evidence in court
    -Interrogating
    -Conducting criminal investigations
    -Arresting suspects
    -Etc.

With that said, my question still applies. Will future announcements still screen for prior FLE/LE experience?

As with many an 1811 announcement they're looking for prior investigative experience; of which patrol doesn't qualify. That being said, to say those with only patrol experience or just college don't get hired would be misleading, because they do.

BIG would advice you apply and make them tell you no.

Be aware it is very VERY competitive and there are not a large numbers of slots opening at any one time.

As has been said on this forum ad naseum, apply and move on with your life. Do not obsess over the time frame in which this system works. Its a marathon and not a sprint.

Just spoke with a recruiter and have the following info.

HSI is looking to have about 100 slots this year. Most seem to be slotted for new hires.

No word on laterals. No word on if polys will be waived for laterals.

No word on when an announcement will drop. If BIG has a heads up, he will advice so those interested can prepare.

Great info, Big. Thanks!

What exactly is the difference between the normal hiring process and direct hire? Is it still posted on USAJobs? Do we just apply right to the Field Office? I get the general idea but I’m not sure of the practical implications for candidates.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Sexy View Post
    lHSI is looking to have about 100 slots this year. Most seem to be slotted for new hires.
    Up to 150, but it’s all contingent on a budget getting passed that provides the necessary funding.

When I was trying to get an 1811, I received some sage advice which I'm glad I followed.

From an FBI agent friend: don't take the thin letter personally. Every agency, especially the FBI (per his experience), changes what they want regularly. Also, the reviewer of your app. Is likely clueless.

From an old school Customs RAC: keep trying , no matter what. If you know what the agency is looking for, tailor your resume and responses. Don't lie, but don't sell yourself short. Your experience may fit the requirements better than you think. The above mentioned clueless screener may not realize that a 10 year PD detective investigates crimes. spell it all out in detail and use those key words they're likely looking for. Again, be honest, but give yourself the credit you deserve.
    Waitin' on the ICE to thaw.....

Quote Originally Posted by JDK View Post

Also, the reviewer of your app. Is likely clueless.
    I have an aunt and a sister who are in HR, and your remark about reviewers is correct, both in private industry and in the government.
    ESFLEA
    Life is what happens while you're planning other things.

Quote Originally Posted by Jwebb514 View Post
    What exactly is the difference between the normal hiring process and direct hire? Is it still posted on USAJobs? Do we just apply right to the Field Office? I get the general idea but I’m not sure of the practical implications for candidates.
    Normal hiring process is... well, the usually extensive hiring process. Test, test result placement, background, hiring panel, FLETC CITP then to HSISAT, group assignment and probation.

Direct hire usually involves a lateral hire, usually. If your next line of questioning is to ask, "What's a lateral hire?", well, it's bringing on someone at a higher pay grade and more times than not is already an 1811 with another agency. They get hired, skip a bunch off the aforementioned steps and attend HSISAT to learn HSI specific authorities and responsibilities.

All should still be posted upon USAJobs.

Field Office? Are you referring to ICE ERO? They have Field Offices, HSI, like many an 1811 agency has SAC, DSAC, ASAC, RAC and occasionally the odd RA Offices. AS you can see the title of the office corresponds to the highest managerial staff member on site.

Now, if you ask what all of the acronyms stand for, well, thats an entirely new thread. Though a quick search in this forum should provide you the answers you seek.