Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by nsedet View Post
    Up to 150, but it’s all contingent on a budget getting passed that provides the necessary funding.
    Budget? When will we actually have a budget and not a CR is the million dollar question.
    It is better to be feared than loved, if you cannot be both. - Niccolo Machiavelli

Most people respect the badge, everybody respects the gun.

I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. - Colonel Jessup

Quote Originally Posted by esflea View Post
    I have an aunt and a sister who are in HR, and your remark about reviewers is correct, both in private industry and in the government.
    Admin GS-5's to 7's make the wheels go round and round, round and round, round and round.
    It is better to be feared than loved, if you cannot be both. - Niccolo Machiavelli

I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. - Colonel Jessup

Been a long while since I've been on here but to add the to screener/HR info...I recently put in for an HSI position I knew I wouldn't get accepted for, but I just wanted to see what would happen. As a prior ICE OI / HSI agent I figured it was worth a shot. I got a thanks but no thanks email, but it gave me the wrong reason code for not being found eligible. My interest peaked, I emailed the HR contact. She promptly wrote me back asking some basic info, and when I told her I wasn't a current HSI employee she told me to call her. Thinking I was going to get yelled at for wasting her time, but still interested, I called her and had the exact opposite experience. She tried to pitch me on contacting my local office and trying to go through direct hiring. It was refreshing and good to find people willing to go out of their way to help someone else. Reminded me of Virginia, anyone else remember Virginia from ages ago?
    “The fringes of their deserts were strewn with broken faiths.”
    ― T.E. Lawrence, Seven Pillars of Wisdom: A Triumph

the thing that's disconcerting about the screener is that i ventured over to the delphi forums one day and many a people were endorsing the tactic of lying on the screener. essentially, put max experience on each answer, even if that's not true. they say that the screener is completely decoupled from the hiring process. it's never asked about again at any point in the hiring process and appears to not even be available for interviewers to review. the posters at delphi go on further to say that there are countless people who have done this and are now agents.

now, obviously this is unethical and i guess i just won't be an HSI agent if i can't get past the screener with honest answers. with that said, if the above is true, it is very disheartening.

edit to clarify: the screener is not completely decoupled from the hiring process. it obviously screens people out from being determined best qualified and therefore moving on. i mean to say that after the BQ determination, the screener disappears into the universe and is not brought up again.

Quote Originally Posted by Emaichbe03 View Post
    edit to clarify: the screener is not completely decoupled from the hiring process. it obviously screens people out from being determined best qualified and therefore moving on. i mean to say that after the BQ determination, the screener disappears into the universe and is not brought up again.
    Not true. In certain limited aspects it may be the case depending on the agency, i.e., hiring panel may or may not have access to your responses, but the selecting official, personnel security, OPR and others have it. Unfortunately, government-wide, OPM does a poor job of evaluating responses to see if they are supported by the resume because they rely on the selecting officials to do that. How effective that is varies wildly, but FLE agencies tend to be better at it. Misleading answer get an applicant through the automated screening, but are generally tripped up later in the process. I’ve seen applicants screened out, fired after starting the academy, and in at least one case saw a career employee resign as a result of false responses to a questionnaire for another position within the same agency.

Quote Originally Posted by nsedet View Post
    Not true. In certain limited aspects it may be the case depending on the agency, i.e., hiring panel may or may not have access to your responses, but the selecting official, personnel security, OPR and others have it. Unfortunately, government-wide, OPM does a poor job of evaluating responses to see if they are supported by the resume because they rely on the selecting officials to do that. How effective that is varies wildly, but FLE agencies tend to be better at it. Misleading answer get an applicant through the automated screening, but are generally tripped up later in the process. I’ve seen applicants screened out, fired after starting the academy, and in at least one case saw a career employee resign as a result of false responses to a questionnaire for another position within the same agency.
    Way more people slip through the cracks than get caught and disciplined, though, and that can be pretty disheartening. In a career where integrity is a very necessary trait, it's unfortunate that many people get their start by misrepresenting their qualifications. Obviously, not everyone does this, but it does happen.

What’s that old Seinfeld line?

It’s not a lie if you believe it.
    Book 'em Dan-o.

Anybody have updated info regarding a lateral announcement, or any announcement, coming out?

Thanks in advance.

All BIG can tell you is something is supposed to come out this year. When BIG has any info he will share it; unless someone else post first.

Any more word on SAC hiring authority? Should the hiring binge actually be approved?

Big, as always, thanks a bunch. Sandles, on SAC authority, nobody seems to know how it will work. That is straight from Dallas about a month ago. From what I have heard, there has to be an announcement before any hiring can be done due to OPM regulations, and Dallas has said that a person will have to successfully complete all steps of the announcement before being hired. What does that mean? Your guess is as good as mine. It sure doesn’t sound like the SAC can just hire someone, but who knows.

PS—my guess is that a budget needs to be passed before HSI puts out an announcement.

This is all tentative.

Nothing is clear yet.

Am waiting on further clarification.

Capisce?

Good.

There's a debate on whether direct hire authority has been granted to the SAC's. SAC's say, yes, while some in HQ say, no. There is a SAC conference and clarification has been asked of these esteemed managers.

With direct hire authority, will the SAC be able to hire for any of their offices or will they just be able to hire and HQ decides placement? Its been stated, yes, to both scenarios. Again, as with the above, clarification has been sought.

Laterals? From what BIG has been told, they are looking to bring on laterals. Also from what BIG has heard, it may not be in the same vein as it has been on previous occasions. Nutshell, what BIG has heard they're looking to bring on laterals but not as lateral 12's if already 12's, but as 9/11's. That being said, BIG cannot say this with 100% certainty, but it sounds like its at least been discussed.

BIG has held of on posting anything, regarding this subject, for a couple weeks, due to the fluidity of words that's coming out. Nothing seems to be definite and more akin to swimming through peanut butter.

If any other esteemed members of Club HSI has heard anything to the contrary or can clarify any of the above stated positions, please feel more than free to do so.

Baring that, if and when BIG hears anything else and.or receives clarification on direct hiring, office placement, deciding authorities and status on lateral hiring grades, he will let you know. Will also attempt to clarify if laterals will send resumes to recruiters for the SAC or if they can have an HSI colleague do so on their behalf to either the SAC or the recruiter. BIG has heard both and is sure some of that will depend upon the individual SAC.direct their resume to the SAC.

Now its a wait and see if or how the pending shutdown will throw all of this topsy turvy.

That's all the news BIG sees fit to print.

A little birdie is chirping that an entry level announcement is going to post on the 28th of March, FOR 24 HOURS ONLY.

At least that's the word.