Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Big, as always, thanks for the great info!

Quote Originally Posted by Big Sexy View Post
    A little birdie is chirping that an entry level announcement is going to post on the 28th of March, FOR 24 HOURS ONLY.

At least that's the word.
    I have heard it will open for 2-3 days but is limited to a thousand applicants so it may close after the first day. Also there should be two announcements, one open to everyone and a second limited to female applicants. GS-7/9.

Quote Originally Posted by nsedet View Post
    I have heard it will open for 2-3 days but is limited to a thousand applicants so it may close after the first day. Also there should be two announcements, one open to everyone and a second limited to female applicants. GS-7/9.
    what, do they want a lawsuit filed before the first interview starts ? females get "twice the opportunity" to apply ? maybe they should get twice the border response duty agent time

I digress..

If the newly implemented PT standards look anything like ATF's, they'll get almost double the time to run the 1.5 miles too. Sounds like ATF and HSI's HR departments are on the same page.

Quote Originally Posted by nsedet View Post
    one open to everyone and a second limited to female applicants. GS-7/9.
    BIG had heard about this a few weeks ago, but nothing since and was not aware of any specificities concerning it.
    It is better to be feared than loved, if you cannot be both. - Niccolo Machiavelli

Most people respect the badge, everybody respects the gun.

I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. - Colonel Jessup

Quote Originally Posted by satpak77 View Post
    what, do they want a lawsuit filed before the first interview starts ? females get "twice the opportunity" to apply ? maybe they should get twice the border response duty agent time

I digress..
    Whenever BIG hears we don't have enough of and need more of (insert the type of person), BIG just assumes that means you've done a horrible recruiting job up until this point. Qualified persons of every ilk are out there and its our jobs to get the word out. But by no means should we consider lowering any standards. To do so would just hurt the agency in the long run, abilities and reputation, as well as insulting as hell to those of (insert the groups of persons), who've been here and doing the damned thing.
    It is better to be feared than loved, if you cannot be both. - Niccolo Machiavelli

I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. - Colonel Jessup

Quote Originally Posted by Honda View Post
    Big, as always, thanks for the great info!
    This is the point of this forum and BIG is happy to be able to assist the new generation looking to come on.

If BIG hears anything else, he'll be sure to post it.

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by satpak77 View Post

I digress..
    Quote Originally Posted by whatchagot View Post
    If the newly implemented PT standards look anything like ATF's, they'll get almost double the time to run the 1.5 miles too. Sounds like ATF and HSI's HR departments are on the same page.
    I think I expected better from both of you.

Quote Originally Posted by Gracie Hart View Post
    In other equally important news, HSI has officially finalized physical fitness testing standards and all HSISAT students must pass it in order to graduate. My understanding from academy instructor friends is that this takes effect this month. There is no change for age or gender. Same for all students.

1.5 mile run @ 14:25 or under
    1 minute sit-ups @ 32 minimum
    1 minute push-ups @ 22 minimum
    220 yard sprint @ sub 45 seconds
    This is from this thread, posted in May 2017. All is still true.

Perhaps a bit of clarification is in order, and it's along the lines of what BIG said. ATF at least has made a concerted, open, and not at all veiled attempt to hire ANYONE who isn't a white male. The stuff coming from our HRPD in published, sanctioned, materials is a lawsuit waiting to happen.

I have sat on interview panels where clearly less qualified applicants were pushed through by the senior member of the panel because of their race, or gender, or both, and other applicants were--in my opinion-- held to visibly higher standards. It is a disservice to people in X category who are already on the job, doing the damn thing. Many of them are doing it better--under more scrutiny-- than their white male colleagues. I am acutely aware of the struggles that female agents in my office face because I live with one. Her perspective on situations is often different than mine, and she has made me more aware.

My personal stance on the PT standards--from both my time on active duty many moons ago, and as an ATF PT test administrator-- remains the same. Equal rights demand equal standards. ATF has failed on this. If HSI sticks to the one test, one standard policy, they will have done it better than ATF. A male applicant between age 30-39 at ATF is required to run 1.5 miles in 12 minutes and 51 seconds. The same age female applicant gets 15:26. The rest of our standards are here: https://www.atf.gov/careers/pre-empl...ical-task-test, but suffice to say they are equally disparate in all tests across age and gender. Those things said, the standard is the standard. I salute smartly and move out, whether I personally agree or not. I also think that your 1.5 mile run time has next to nothing to do with what kind of investigator you'll be--no matter your gender-- but that is an entirely different conversation.

Now that I have offered the mea culpa for any unintended slight against female agents, I shall stop hijacking the HSI thread. I know next to nothing about HSI hiring, except what I hear from the few HSI agents who hear things around the water cooler. HSI like all agencies--ATF included-- has great, good, bad, and horrible agents. I wish those of you in the process well, and hope that hiring goes smoothly for all involved.

why do you say this ? please explain the justification behind a vacancy announcement for "females only" ?

Note that I will stop there and no longer participate in this thread. My point (and your disagreement) has both been noted.

Thanks
    Last edited by satpak77; 03-28-2018 at 08:58.